raspberries and parsnips all gone

• 15 Replies

Grubbypaws

raspberries and parsnips all gone
« on: December 24, 2022, 11:43 »
We have just had a complete power outage. To sort out the problem National Grid have had to dig up my entire set of raspberry canes and destroy my parsnip bed which I have tended for years. Gutted. All the soil from digging has been put between my raised beds. What a mess. So much mud where once there was calm order and productiveness.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: raspberries and parsnips all gone
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2022, 12:22 »
Aw, that's bad news  :( Any chance of compensation, to help you put it back to rights?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2022, 13:13 »
Oh no   :(

What a horrible mess for you to sort out.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2022, 13:31 »
Aw, that's bad news  :( Any chance of compensation, to help you put it back to rights?

They will come back after Christmas and shift the soil back into the massive holes that used to be where my raspberries grew but we have only been able to save a few canes. Much of the emergency work was done after dark and through the night so it was difficult for them (and us as we shivered!). The parsnip raised bed had to be emptied and moved so all the parsnips had to be harvested. We are trying to get them dry so hopefully they will store for a bit. I will want to put that bed back together myself so I can check what it gets filled with!

They had to put a lot of the soil on the lawn. If it is there til Wednesday we might ask them to reseed it.  They made the final connection to the Grid yesterday in the pouring rain so there is mud everywhere; steps, kitchen and cellar. I have had a great Christmas eve cleaning the house before guests arrive while thinking about this years raspberry harvest. It was a bumper year.

raspberries.jpg
before.jpg
after.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 14:23 »
 :( :( :(

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 14:46 »
I don't know if I am missing something, but were there underground power cables.....right through your garden?

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2022, 15:09 »
I don't know if I am missing something, but were there underground power cables.....right through your garden?

The electricity supply is normally delivered into houses through underground cables

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2022, 15:24 »
I understand that Mr Dog since I have worked in construction all my life. It's just that they normally come from the road side of the property.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2022, 15:33 »

Yes, they come up from the road under my front garden to the cellar. The front garden gets all the sun which is why I have my wee allotment there. It is an old Victorian house, too old for there to be any plans so they spent ages trying to find the cable in the dark. The cable that burnt out was probably the age of the house. They managed to take out my neighbours electricity in the process; he wasn't happy!

I would try and put the soil back from the lawn and raised bed area but am not sure if there is a correct method for covering high voltage cables and junctions. Plus there is a large keep out barrier by the front door. I think it is best to wait for the contractor to return.
barrier.jpg

Goosegirl

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2022, 09:13 »
Oh, I am SO sorry to read this. I really hope you can get some help to sort it out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2022, 13:45 »
What an upset! Hope that they do sort it all out to your liking
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2023, 11:14 »
What an upset! Hope that they do sort it all out to your liking

They filled in the holes, made it look neat and even reseeded the grass! There was a lot of mud for us to clear up but we are nearly there now. We have remade the raised bed ready for the parsnips and will try and replant some of the raspberry canes that were dug up.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2023, 18:37 »
Only comfort I can offer is that in my experience raspberries are almost indestructible.
Certainly given the way they pop up all over my plot, generally especially where I don’t want them!
Keep digging

stademock

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2023, 12:02 »
I understand that Mr Dog since I have worked in construction all my life.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2023, 12:37 »
Only comfort I can offer is that in my experience raspberries are almost indestructible.
Certainly given the way they pop up all over my plot, generally especially where I don’t want them!

I have replanted all the dug up canes so we will see. I haven't pruned them back as that would mean no raspberries this year :( but I am not sure how wise this is. Will it be too stressful for the canes being dug up, replanted and then expected to fruit as if nothing has happened?

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Raspberries - what to do?

Started by Libby on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 13:20
by Libby
xx
Raspberries

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 17:01
by Mark-S
xx
raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2012, 08:54
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 49 queries.