cabbage confusion!!

• 5 Replies

elsiepumpkin

cabbage confusion!!
« on: April 10, 2014, 19:34 »
Hi everyone, I need some advice. I have grown some winter cabbage  (January King and Red drumhead) in my greenhouse. It's now about 4 inches high and needs to go out. I didn't realise until a couple of weeks ago that it is really too early to grow winter cabbage. I was too eager in my seed sowing!! My question is, should I plant it out anyway? Will it just mature earlier (late summer/autumn)? Or are these winter varieties not suited to summer growing? I could sow some more in a couple of weeks to get some for actual winter (which was the original plan)and abandon these seedlings. That's going to be hard to do though as I've spent hours on them - potting them up and what have you - and they are all looking very strong and healthy - the idea of chucking them now is horrible. However, my brassica bed isn't of unlimited size so can't do summer and winter cabbage. What should I do?

strider84

• Experienced Member
Re: cabbage confusion!!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 22:39 »
I am guessing if you sow an over wintering variety it is likely they will bolt over summer.

Worth seeing what others think as I've haven't really grown many brassicas before (just kale).

Giving it a go this year though.

elsiepumpkin

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 10:13 »
Thanks for the reply Strider. I'm hoping that the Red Drumhead seedlings might be okay if I put it in the ground now, as that seems to be an autumn variety. The January King matures later I think. So maybe more of a problem. They will be covered in debris netting. Do you think the little bit of shade that this offers might help against bolting?

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32 »
I'd say they'll be fine and you should end up with some big cabbages. Just make sure you harden them off properly before planting out.

crh75

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 16:23 »
I agree they will be fine.  Just make sure they don't get too dry in the summer and if you have a slightly shady spot they will do well there.

Totty

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 20:01 »
Not sure about the drumhead. The jan kings may be ok, but I reckon they may bolt. They are not intended to grow and mature quickly in the heat of summer, like summer varieties, but form their heads slowly through winter before being ready in jan-feb time. They are the best of all the winter cabbages IMO, and I know the taste gets better with the winter cold, but worth a try with a few at least.

Totty

xx
Spring cabbage confusion

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2021, 17:24
by rowlandwells
xx
more raspberry confusion.

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 07:19
by sunshineband
xx
Strawberry confusion

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 08:16
by gobs
sad
potato confusion

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 20:58
by gobs

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 35 queries.