Green alge/mould on plants in greenhouse

• 7 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
Green alge/mould on plants in greenhouse
« on: April 28, 2013, 20:00 »
I sewed some early seeds and had problems with water supply.  I used some water from a old butt and it had alot of green moss/alge in.  The tops of the plants have a green cover.  I am worried about using them after reading about the salmenella issues from dirty water.  I have re sewed some of the seeds and scrapped off the green on others.  I have learnt my lesson and if water not available on site I will bring it from home.  Water on recently turned on.  I have read so many different views on this very confused and not sure what to do.  The leeks I had growing had a green coating on.  I have re-potted them all and hope they will be okay.  Advice please       

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Green alge/mould on plants in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 20:13 »
It's not a good idea to water seedling from a waterbutt as it may introduce fungus and cause damping off.

It won't however introduce Salmonella. This comes from infected animals, meat, or water which has been polluted with animal or human faeces I believe.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 21:13 »
Sounds like the greenhouse would benefit from a bit more air flow to minimize the green algae/mold problems. As for the green on plants, most could be gently scraped off at planting time.

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 21:51 »

It won't however introduce Salmonella. This comes from infected animals, meat, or water which has been polluted with animal or human faeces I believe.

You could get Salmonella in Tomatoes
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/11/22/calgary-krown-tomatoes-recalled.html

Totty

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 21:57 »
Water from a butt will be fine for growing on plants past seedling, but don't water the foliage. Water from below if poss and improve ventilation as much as possible.

Totty

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 22:02 »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/11/22/calgary-krown-tomatoes-recalled.html

yes, but only because they were watered with 'dirty' water - like the cucumber and salad scares last year  ::)

Dave Mack

• Zillionaire
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 22:23 »

yes, but only because they were watered with 'dirty' water - like the cucumber and salad scares last year  ::)

Right thanks for that Lesley   :)

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 14:32 »
Green algae can also form where seed trays are over watered even when using tap water, which is always recommended for seeds/seedlings. It depends a lot on what compost is in use, I find the peat free stuff is very prone to algae; water from below and just enough to keep the bottom of the tray or pots moist. Where I did get it on some onion seeds this year, they have transplanted ok so I think the wind and dry surface soil have effectively dealt with this type of algae. I don't think there is any harm, as long as we peel or wash fruit and veg before eating it raw.
Incidentally, when I was at sea we had to discharge any fresh water ballast at sea before entering port or estuaries, the authorities around North America were very worried about disease entering the food chain through animals feeding on algal bloom; apparently algae can absorb some very nasty micro organisms.   
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

xx
Green mould on pepper seedlings

Started by Lee G on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 14:40
by shaun
xx
Green mould (?) growth on the compost/soil.

Started by Siouxfly on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 19:41
by Christine
xx
Mould on Cucumber plants

Started by Flyin Chickens on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2008, 21:17
by peterjf
xx
grey mould - which plants are affected

Started by lucylike on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 19, 2009, 22:37
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.