pepper plants

• 6 Replies

jambop

pepper plants
« on: May 20, 2021, 07:33 »
I do not normally cut the top out of my peppers plants but after seeing lots of videos where gardeners show improved productivity I am going to try it with half of my peppers to see if it does make a difference. What do people on here do?

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Re: pepper plants
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 08:19 »
I tried it for the first time two years back and it definitely makes the plants more productive. It makes the plants grow bushier and each new branch produces more fruit than if the plant grew as a single stem.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 08:32 »
As to put the other view, I used to pinch out but the delay in the start of production negated any increase in volume.  I think this is one of those questions where the answer is going to be dependent of what varieties you're growing, how far along they are and the local conditions that year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 09:08 »
I tried it for the first time two years back and it definitely makes the plants more productive. It makes the plants grow bushier and each new branch produces more fruit than if the plant grew as a single stem.
I agree with P1P, its what I do  :D

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2021, 11:12 »
None of the previous answers are wrong, but I'm with Lardy, it probably depends  on variety, conditions, but I would add depends on what you want

A plant can support a certain amount of fruit over a season, pinching out could very well increase branching and the number of leaves and buds, which might increase the number of fruits that can be supported.  I usually do not pinch/prune, but my growing season is much longer, it is not a problem for me to spread out fruiting from May or June to late October or November.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2021, 17:00 »
If i was to pinch out a 'couple' as an experiment...what size do the plants have to be before i pinch ;)

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2021, 18:43 »
You can also 'FIM' them - search on the popular video website for 'fiming peppers' (just the word 'fiming' will return examples using more exotic vegetation....  ;)  )

xx
Pepper Plants

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 06, 2009, 14:05
by Plottered
xx
Pepper plants

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 23:58
by gobs
xx
Do I need to do anything to my pepper plants?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 09:01
by scott40k
xx
Pepper plants

Started by davidmw on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 21:50
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 41 queries.