New Asparagus bed - advice please

• 6 Replies

JoyPegs

New Asparagus bed - advice please
« on: May 20, 2021, 15:32 »
Hi - we are allotment newbies battling the weather on a virgin plot.  The whole site is waterlogged (clay pasture) and my newly dug asparagus bed is now a pond, but the crowns have just arrived.  What should I do with them until it's possible to repair the bed and plant them?

Lardman

Re: New Asparagus bed - advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2021, 15:51 »
You're not going to want them sitting in a pond at all.  You may need to create some ridges with well drained material for the crowns to sit on for the long term otherwise they will just rot when planted. Until then depending on the state they're in, keep them cool and dark and they should be fine until the weather drys out in a bit.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2021, 17:42 »
Only other point worth mentioning is to be patient with them once planted. My plants only produced very thin whispy ferns for the first couple of years. They now produce spears as thick as my thumb so give them time to mature and you’ll be harvesting for years.
Good Luck HH
Keep digging

JoyPegs

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2021, 18:01 »
Many thanks for the advice both.  I will be adding drainage & building up ridges before planting - once the waves subside :) I was just worried that they'd die if not planted soon, & thought perhaps they'd be better in a container or something, so that's a relief.  I'll keep them in the packaging now and hope for the best. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2021, 00:15 »
You might want to consider building a raised bed of well-drained compost for their "forever home".
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2021, 06:47 »
I guess it depends on how long it'll take you to make a decent, well drained permanent bed for them. Asparagus is tougher than you might think and can be transplanted (I moved mine successfully at five years old). If it's going to take a while to get their bed ready it'll probably be safer to pop them into individual containers (or compost bags stood on end).

JoyPegs

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2021, 08:40 »
Thanks everyone for trying to help but I think we're just in the lap of the gods for this year. 

Thanks for the bag suggestion Blewit but it will be cheaper to order new crowns than to buy in enough compost to start them individually.  One batch has already started to shoot so I really hope the ground will drain & dry off soon.  I've just dug down deep enough to remove the pasture layer and when able I will mix in a drainage layer to the fertile clay, then build up the ridges & top off with good soil mix & compost. 

Looks like yet more rain here until the middle of next week & then at last some seasonal weather, but we have a badly timed week away then, postponed from last year.  Had thought we'd have everything in & established over the last few weeks, just needing watering while we are away, but you know what 'thought' did!  Will just have to see what will survive and revive when we get back.  Poor tomatoes and other seedlings are also getting leggy while they wait!  Hey ho - such is lottie life I guess  :lol:

xx
Advice on ASPARAGUS

Started by argonaut on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 30, 2014, 08:50
by Nobbie
xx
Asparagus advice

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:51
by Salmo
xx
(More!) Asparagus advice please

Started by JoyPegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 08:48
by JoyPegs
xx
Advice on asparagus please

Started by Noah'strolly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 28, 2009, 19:20
by nicchick

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 43 queries.