M9 apple rootstock staking

• 6 Replies

Hortic

M9 apple rootstock staking
« on: February 28, 2021, 17:26 »
Hi all. I have a 'Nancy Jackson' apple on a dwarfing M9 rootstock (1+1). I was originally going to put it in as a step over, hence the very dwarfing.  Now I've planted it in the row with my other apples. But I'm stuck as to staking it. Now it has a big stake along side. It's a maiden whip and I won't cut it till next year when I get more height. I need to keep a M9 staked. Any suggestions?

Growster...

Re: M9 apple rootstock staking
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 21:09 »
Interesting point, Hortic!

We had one with the side branch going nowhere, so I staked it with a tie holding it all near enough vertical.

It did bend a bit after removing the stake a few years later, but it was a fine tree (was - as it started to fail sfter about twenty-five years), and never was a problem for its enforced straightening!

Hortic

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2021, 08:55 »
I had an epiphany moment and realised the best for this M9 maiden whip was as an espalier.  So I'll lift and repot 'Nancy Jackson', pull the stake and start looking at frames. I don't have a wall for this.
So peeps, anyone out there build an espalier frame before and can advise me?

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2021, 09:14 »
I made this one several years ago, Hortic!

It's 6'0" long x 4'0" high, built from tanalised 1.5" x 1" batten, (screwed at each crossover), with equal squares 8" apart, 3" x 3" posts each end, with the feet bashed down onto a drive-in metal ground spike, and bolted or nailed secure.

We coated it with fence paint before we put the tree in, and that is in fact a pear tree, and although it was originally an espalier, we formed the 'cone' design instead, because the branches tended to go that way and were more 'relaxed'!

Hope this helps!
P1110936.JPG

Hortic

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 09:22 »
That is good. I'd grow sweet peas up it! Good support for the tree. I was thinking more classic wire and post.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2021, 12:03 »
Sweet peas go up a cane system here, as we grow them in a 'U' shape, and they can then withstand the wind!

The reason for the frame being more robust than necessary, is that we hang those French pot-holders along the rails when a gap occurs! The other pear tree has the same treatment, but we're changing all that this year, as the tree isn't thriving!

Hortic

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 16:21 »
I could see sweet peas on that nice frame you have but wasn't serious about it. I grow them opposite my French runners on a double row of tall canes in an A shape. All legumes together

I've decided to invest in a Harrod Hortic espalier frame. Metal doesn't rot, is a kit and it comes with a guarantee. I'll get help putting it up then it's done.

xx
family apple trees and rootstock?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 00:47
by pushrod
xx
apple tree "leg" grafted onto m9 rootstock

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 09:33
by John
xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Gisela 5 rootstock

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 15:44
by Trillium

Page created in 0.35 seconds with 45 queries.