Advice on ASPARAGUS

• 12 Replies

argonaut

Advice on ASPARAGUS
« on: April 27, 2014, 12:56 »
I followed the advice I could find and last year created a deep dedicated Asparagus bed ... and planted 3 varieties of crowns.
As per advice took no crop last year let then grow until they died back then cut back to ground level.

Growing this year ... now I know the advice is only take a 'light crop' in 2nd year.
So what does that mean in practise .... do I cut some as soon as they are about 6" above ground ... do I levae some on a plat grow well above that before I harvest off that plant.

What about ones I don't harvest do I leave them just grow ? do I cut tips off ?
I ask as some 'spears' are approaching 24" long .. other spears just coming through.

There are those that always like to find fault, if you spot a Typo ... consider put there for you.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice on ASPARAGUS
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 13:30 »
What you really don't want to happen is to find that the spears you have harvested are the last the young plant has the strength to produce that year, leaving nothing to grow up into ferns to replenish the rest of the plant, so allowing a few to grow into ferns before taking a few edible spears isn't a bad idea, although not normal practice with mature plants of course.

Don't cut the tips off spears you want to grow into ferns - they won't.

Advice varies on what crop to take from plants in their second growing season, but I go with those who say that taking more than one or two per plant risks setting them back in future years.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

argonaut

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 14:15 »
OK ... so I'll leave at least one large one before I take any .. and then max of 2 per plant this year ...

What length should I take a crop ? ... 8" ?     I know cut 2" below ground.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 16:57 »
7-8" long is probably about right, the depth you cut to partly depends on how deep the crowns are under the surface, the idea obviously being not to damage them. 1" is the usual recommended depth.

The more ferns left to grow the stronger the plants will be next year. Feed them if you haven't done already, or feed again if fern growth seems a bit weak. If your site is windy you may need to support them with a string either side (shame to see them snap off having been very diligent and not eaten them as spears!  ;))

argonaut

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 17:44 »
Thnx

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 09:49 »
In the first light cutting year cut everything that appears for just 3 weeks after the first ones appear, and then let everything else grow up.

argonaut

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 09:56 »
I didn't cut anything on first year, had read that nothing should be cut until 2nd year
Now in 2nd year so academic anyway

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 22:25 »
To clarify. In the first year you harvest any asparagus cut everything for the first three week and then leave it to grow up.

argonaut

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:54 »
OK .. that last comment has confused things . :unsure:  .. this is not the first year, I planted last year .. and took zero crop as advised, healthy load of ferns.

This is 2nd year ... so far have cut nothing ... plants have a large (24") spear, and smaller spears arriving ... do I leave the large spear in place, and take a few small spears of each plant .. then let rest grow on.

Main cropping starts next year

RaptorUK

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 15:19 »
OK .. that last comment has confused things . :unsure:  .. this is not the first year, I planted last year ..

Just to confuse things even more   :D  this is the plants 3rd year   :dry:

1st year:  seed to 1 year old crown
2nd year:  1 year old crown that you planted  (assuming they were 1 year old crowns . . .  )
3rd year:  Now.

This is 2nd year ... so far have cut nothing ... plants have a large (24") spear, and smaller spears arriving ... do I leave the large spear in place, and take a few small spears of each plant .. then let rest grow on.

Main cropping starts next year

As you already have a 24" spear which would not be too good to eat I would leave it and take a small harvest, no longer than 3 weeks,  of new shorter spears as they present themselves.   This is basically what Salmo is saying . . . as this is your first possible harvesting year.

argonaut

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 16:19 »
OK ... it was the term 1st year that threw me ...

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 17:38 »
Can I ask a question, please, I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is asparagus related.
I've got a new bed, the crowns went in a few weeks ago and the first sprouts have appeared.  Given that I can't do anything else with this bed for 2 years, can I grow some sweet peas on it this year without harming the asparagus plants?
Anne

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 08:50 »
Can I ask a question, please, I don't want to hijack the thread, but it is asparagus related.
I've got a new bed, the crowns went in a few weeks ago and the first sprouts have appeared.  Given that I can't do anything else with this bed for 2 years, can I grow some sweet peas on it this year without harming the asparagus plants?

I think something tall like sweetpeas would shade the asparagus too much. I am in a similar position and was thinking of something like like lettuce or spinach or other salad leaves. Maybe french beans, but leave plenty of space around the crowns as you don't want to disturb them.

xx
Asparagus advice

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 11, 2017, 09:58
by Hampshire Hog
xx
(More!) Asparagus advice please

Started by JoyPegs on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 23, 2022, 08:48
by JoyPegs
xx
Asparagus advice

Started by Robert_S on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:51
by Salmo
xx
advice for asparagus please.

Started by ruthsamuel2 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 12:04
by ruthsamuel2

Page created in 0.346 seconds with 36 queries.