When to plant seedlings in my polytunnel

• 5 Replies

PennyLS

When to plant seedlings in my polytunnel
« on: April 07, 2020, 12:03 »
I have a  6m polytunnel , with raised beds,  in South Wales. When can I put house grown seedlings into the poly tunnel? Or is too much like asking how long is a piece of string?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: When to plant seedlings in my polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 14:44 »
Do you have a thermometer (ideally a max/min type?)

Usual rule of thumb is that for the tender crops (toms, cukes etc.) you need the temperature to not drop lower than 10C at any point - for me that's usually early May, but no two years have been the same in recent years.   :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

PennyLS

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 16:02 »
Thank you for your reply. I do have a thermometer,  I have now put in tunnel. We have had some warm weather for last week , soil is warm, and during the day It is more than warm enough. I have potatoes, strawberries, and lettuce coming on really well. I was hoping to gain some time, and space in my kitchen, which is north facing so not ideal have to turn about 120 plants every day.  A lot are also flowers for my hanging baskets I like to pot up early so when they go out end of may they are lush. These be alright? Geraniums, lobelia etc

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 16:13 »
In my polytunnel I have staging shelves to keep my seedlings, the tender ones under a plastic lid. They wont go out into the tunnel beds until I see regular night time temps of 10c.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 18:09 by Plot 1 Problems »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 16:29 »
Thank you for your reply. I do have a thermometer,  I have now put in tunnel. We have had some warm weather for last week , soil is warm, and during the day It is more than warm enough. I have potatoes, strawberries, and lettuce coming on really well. I was hoping to gain some time, and space in my kitchen, which is north facing so not ideal have to turn about 120 plants every day.  A lot are also flowers for my hanging baskets I like to pot up early so when they go out end of may they are lush. These be alright? Geraniums, lobelia etc

It's the likes of toms, chillies and cukes which can be set back or even killed by low temperatures - yours should be fine as long as the temperature stays above freezing in the GH (if your forecast is anything like mine, night-time temperatures look pretty reasonable for the next week, which will help them acclimatise.)

PennyLS

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 16:40 »
that sounds like a great idea thanks  ::)

xx
Using a polytunnel

Started by Kathie on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 17:28
by Kathie
xx
polytunnel

Started by kitch on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 00:14
by muntjac
xx
Why buy a polytunnel ?

Started by fibilou on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2011, 19:21
by japagow
xx
Polytunnel

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 23:43
by muntjac

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 44 queries.