OUR PLOT

• 19 Replies

Ricey

Re: OUR PLOT
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 22:33 »
Hi mate,
I'm in the same boat. Aquired my lotty 8 weeks ago or so and found it in a sorry state. Carted off a skip load of rubble, metal, glass and plastic. Dug over approximately 80 square meters and burnt tons of couch grass and bramble.

As for the turf, I dumped it. Couch grass was an obvious part of that decision but tbh, Im not convinced my plot needed the extra organic material anyway.
Ive sorted a few beds for winter crops but have sown green manure on most of it which will be dug in in spring. Its cheap, conditions the soil and supresses weeds.
Even with the extensive digging, sowing and removal of weeds, the couch grass is back but the looser soil means it's easier to get at and I'm hoping my efforts will help me keep some control of it.

You can bury the turfs or compost them but if you have couch there..... get shot of it.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 19:24 »
i asked few people what they thought my grass was and they unsure so im gonna dig a bed and try upside turfs underneath as i said before give it a go and see what happens

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 20:50 »
thought nothing would suprise me on our plot but today on the side of the plot i was digging a new bed ,and dug up three carpets 4inches below soil and turf 30ish plastic bottles under them plus burnt wood and rubble ,so ive had to build araisedbed 25ft x 6ft each end consists of 3ft high fence panels and scaffold boards along the front ,covered heavily with plastic and cut up buiders bags (the ton ones) then covered with a thick layer of wood chippings.gonna use it has a place the kids can plant in pots etc,flowers and veg,gonna get some tyres for them put some potatoes in for Christmas gonna plant this weekend they well chuffed they think its all theres,plus the little one (2yr old) loves digging we his toys up there so he can dig in there instead of the beds i got lolol,ill stick pic up at weekend see wat u all think.
heres the pic
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 15:27 by finleyfreyaseth »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2011, 21:13 »
That sounds great fin---- good idea  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2011, 15:28 »
pic added

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
New Plot Help

Started by Jacquelyn1401 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 23:43
by juvenal
clip
Plot 32b!!

Started by Mum2mj on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 15, 2013, 17:38
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 37 queries.