Plot 32b!!

• 6 Replies

Mum2mj

Plot 32b!!
« on: May 15, 2013, 13:08 »
Well, further to my previous post I've decided to go for it & just need to dot the i's & cross the t's for half plot 32b  :blush: I had a choice of 2, the other one just had grass to clear but hasn't really been used in 5 years so of course the one I have is full of weeds but has been used until relatively recently so the (loam) soil will be better.  So here is a pic, the site steward suggested strimming & weed killer (I've not used weed killer before but would consider it) there seems to be couch grass & bind weed, strawberries & raspberries & possibly a compost bin under the big pile of nettles. I've read all the articles on here but would love some hints & tips for my patch. Also the site is exposed & windy - thanks in advance  :D
image.jpg

Beetroot queen

Re: Plot 32b!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 13:38 »
Ahh that brings back some memories, mind you neither of our plots had anything growing on them apart from couch grass and five and a half foot weeds.  :ohmy: just look at what can be done not what has to be done.

And good luck.

ThePragmatist

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 13:49 »
The quality of the weeds suggests good soil! Good luck and have fun.

Beetroot queen

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 13:50 »
The quality of the weeds suggests good soil! Good luck and have fun.

That's a genius way to look at it. I have super soil too then hehe

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 13:56 »
Glad you went for it in the end - it looks a good size.

So my tuppence ha'penny is:

After you've had a proper good look at what's in there, if you're going to weedkill, I'd use it before strimming as the stuff needs to be taken in by the plants. And then left for a bit.  I guess you could always do that for part of the plot and then start digging another part, so at least you are getting a bed or two ready while you wait for the chemicals to do their stuff. If it's a windy site - check you don't end up spraying your neighbours  ;)

Personally I would also chop down the nettles and use them to start off some compost. and then weedkill the growth that reappears. They aren't fun to dig up - but also not the worst! Make sure you get out all the thick yellow roots or they will come back.

Mum2mj

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 14:18 »
Thank you! I'm looking forward to sorting out the paperwork & getting stuck in I must say!  If I decide to forgo the weed killer - would I be better off strimming & covering areas whilst I then tackle a bed at a time, so to weaken the weeds & make it easier to then dig up? Also can I use the grass 'strimmings' on the compost if I'm careful not to get the bindweed or would I be better burning it? Thanks!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 17:38 »
Definitely either weedkill or cover, or the grass will get completely out of control before you know it  :ohmy:

Strimming before covering will help the cover to lie flat, so not a bad idea.

As suggested by surbie, the weedkiller route needs you to apply the chemical to growing leaves, and then to let it carry on growing for a couple of weeks while the plant takes the chemical down to its roots.  You could either spray the long grass, or strim - leave a week or so for it to start proper regrowth - and then spray.

Strimmings can be used on the compost if they haven't been treated.  Don't try to compost roots of nettles / grass (if like piano wire) / nettles.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
Got my new plot

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 13:47
by stompy
xx
5 ROD Plot

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 23:55
by suziet88

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 38 queries.