Eglu

• 17 Replies

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« on: February 26, 2007, 10:06 »
Ok, I know they are asking silly money for these things but does anyone have one?  They look dead easy to keep clean and pest free.  Not sure if my resident badger would be able to resist tipping it upside down and plundering it though!  Anyone had any experience of Eglus?  Anyone selling one cheap?? :D

purplebat

Eglu
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 10:11 »
i think Aunt Sally might be able to help you there Mrs Veg
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

purplebat

Eglu
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 10:11 »
and I'm sure Muntjac might have something to say too :lol:

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 10:24 »
Thanks folks, I've just been on the Eglu forum as a guest.  Seems the eglu is not the perfect henhouse after all, going by all the problems people have had with them, ie taking off in high winds, fastening clips breaking, and worst of all (you know how I feel about this one) RATS!!  They chew through the plastic.   :shock:  :shock:

muntjac

Eglu
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 12:39 »
decide how many birds you want to keep .4 is a min number in my mind but some keep less . then decide how much you want to spend , look on the net for some designs and prices . get hubby to look at the pictures .and then werk out how to build something similar n save loads money by building it yourself  :wink:

ideas here
www.forshamcottagearks.com
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Eglu
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2007, 12:42 »
I think you are looking at a very few instances of problems Mrs Veg. out of the thousands there have been sold.  I think I know only of two cases of rats grawing the plastic (they prefer wood).  And only one case of a fox getting into the run (when it was placed on freshly dug soil).  It would take a hurricane to move it too.  I've PM'd you with some more information.

Sally X  :D

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 12:51 »
Thanks for the pm Aunt Sally, very much appreciated.  You are right, there must be thousands of happy eglu owners,  I s'pose I'm just easily put off trying new things.  Anyway, your info was fab, thanks again!  :D

Thanks also to you Munty, I'm sure my hubby would rather I saved the dosh! :lol:

matter

Eglu
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 21:05 »
Ive had mine since Christmas(second hand) and im really pleased with it. It takes no bother to clean,the girls are very happy and steadily laying and rats previously nawed into our wooden shed to get to the rabbits food but havent touched the eglu.
I strongly recomend them
mike

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2007, 21:19 »
Thanks mike, that's good to hear.  Seems most eglu owners are happy bunnies!

Just showed the eglu website to Mr.Veg.  This was his face when he saw the price of em -  :shock:

I think I'll have to just dream on :cry:

muntjac

Eglu
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 00:04 »
im not agin eglu's .im agin wasting money on fads  when a bit of cheek asking for stuff n a bit of help from friends can save ya hundreds pounds .

LILACSPLASH

Eglu
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 00:17 »
call me the cynic... but after having chooks for too many years... how often do you plan to clean this thing? if you look at the amount of poo it must be at least 4x's a day, more in wet weather! I just wondered what would happen to the pyrimids of poo they manage to get when you slide the tray out, need I say more :?
Someone take the spanners away from me!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Eglu
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 11:13 »
The chooks only spend the night time in the eglu LILACSPLASH.  And we're not talking Munty's 200 chooks.  An eglu will only house 2-4 big girls.  I clean the dropping tray out every 2-3 days. (2 mins to tip into the compost bin).  All day time my two girls are in their run where the poo turns into magic poo and dissapears or out rampaging around my garden.  The amount of time I spend cleaning the chooks acommodation must be about 10 mins per week  :!:  Never had red mite either which can be a big problem with wooden houses  :D

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 11:41 »
I'm with Sal on this one - I love easy clean stuff and what could be easier than the eglu?  When I was a kid we had a variety of wooden sheds, arks, barns, etc over the years for the hennies and...well...poo is easier to scrape off plastic than rough wood any day!  :wink:

muntjac

Eglu
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 12:10 »
I GOT A PRESSURE WASHER  :tongue2:

Mrs.Veg

Eglu
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 13:03 »
So have I munty, but the flippin hose keeps shootin off the back - water everywhere and I look like a right eejit :roll:

xx
EGLU

Started by arthur cooke on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 22:48
by compostqueen
xx
eglu

Started by bright lights on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 20:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Eglu go

Started by JaK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 13:54
by JaK
xx
Eglu

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 21:20
by joyfull

Page created in 0.252 seconds with 38 queries.