EGLU

• 13 Replies

arthur cooke

EGLU
« on: November 16, 2008, 14:42 »
Does anyone have any experience of these?
Thanks guys.
cheers Arthur

Vember

EGLU
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 15:43 »
There are a quite few people here who have one Arthur, I'm sure someone will be along shortly to give you some info :)

Was there any thing specific you wanted to know?

Sarah :)

compostqueen

EGLU
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 16:50 »
I've got one, and I know Aunt Sal has.  Fine for folks who just want a few back yard hens. I've had no problems with mine and I find it to be chunky, clunky and good quality. The hens rate it too. Easy to clean out daily and it seems draughtproof, red mite resistant  :D  and  no complaints

The run is just for short periods though and they need more of an area for free ranging so you'll need space to let them out. Mind you that's true of any small coop  :D

Have a look at the Omlet website for all the details. There is tonnes of stuff on there and answers to lots of questions as there's a forum

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
EGLU
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 17:54 »

arthur cooke

EGLU
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:42 »
Hi, thanks for that. Im only intending to keep a few chicken for eggs. When I move to Italy Il keep a lot more and build something my self.
Thanks again.
cheers arthur

Spadefighter

EGLU
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 14:43 »
Have you seen the price of them?! :shock:

Ygerna

EGLU
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 20:43 »
Quote from: "Spadefighter"
Have you seen the price of them?! :shock:

Tis a bit steep :shock: But, do the pros outweigh this? I personally like them because they are plastic, not wood and I think this would make cleaning and maintenance easier. But, I dont have anything at the moment and am just looking for info on these too, like Arthur.

So, if anyone has anything further that they think may be helpful to know or something to think about please share :D

Failing that, I could wait till Arthur emigrates to Italy and then buy his second hand :lol:  :wink:

violet

• Experienced Member
EGLU
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2008, 15:03 »
We have the cube and the run that comes with it as our girls are out all day, I don't think it is big enough without the extension to keep more than a couple of hens in all the time.  We are so sad that we have just bought a Rablu also.......

Sal1610

EGLU
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2008, 16:14 »
I've got one, and it's been fine. I've kept three chickens in it, and they all squash up at on end of the house to sleep so you could probably keep more than three in there. The house itself is really easy to keep clean.

If they stay in the run for more than a couple of days, they turn the ground into a bog, but mine have been out free ranging pretty much every day which means less pressure on a small area of grass, then I shut them in at night.

They are expensive new, but they do turn up on ebay, and also on the Omlet forums. That's where I got mine (second hand)

Unfortunately I'm now down to one chicken because despite my fencing, something (neiughbour's dogs I think) got in last week and killed two  :cry:

compostqueen

EGLU
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2008, 16:26 »
Sorry to hear that  :(

The Omlet website has an active second hand sticky on its website  :D  When people upgrade to bigger or the new model Eglu they put their used ones on there.  My mate got a second hand one when the new model came out and she's chuffed with it

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
EGLU
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2008, 17:34 »
I don't know about the eglu, but I know people have had rabbits taken by foxes from the rablu ones.

You can get a custom built wooden pen/shelter for half the price (or double the size).

We line the wood floor with lino offcuts/tiles to make cleaning easier - gives you a wipe clean surface. Just stick it down well and put batons around the edges to stop them digging it up.

The eglus are very cool looking tho  :lol:

compostqueen

EGLU
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 17:37 »
They are and are instant and ready to go straight out the box which is why I went for one.  I had mine built up (by  me) and hens in it before my old man got home from work by which time it was too late for him to object  8)

It doesn't get red mite in it either which is a major thing going for Eglus.  Listen at me, it could be famous last words  :roll:  :D

ordinarygull

EGLU
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 21:36 »
Hi

I have an eglu, and did get red mite over the summer - however, it was extremely easy to deal with getting rid of them, and once they had gone, no repeat treatments were required!

OG

compostqueen

EGLU
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 22:48 »
I shall keep my eyes open for them. So far so good  :D

xx
Eglu

Started by Ellex on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 21:20
by joyfull
xx
eglu

Started by bright lights on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 20:35
by Aunt Sally
xx
Eglu go

Started by JaK on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 19, 2011, 13:54
by JaK
xx
Eglu

Started by Mrs.Veg on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 23:52
by LILACSPLASH

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 36 queries.