Chicken Needs Glasses :O

• 51 Replies

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chicken Needs Glasses :O
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 12:21 »
sorry, not been on for a few days (internet problem at home  :(), this is such sad news and as another has also developed the same symptoms one would assume that this is obviously not just cataracts. Mareks doesn't as far as I am aware have smelly pooh as a symptom so hopefully it isn't this and I would have expected more symptoms to have appeared by now if it was. What time is your vets appointment?
Staffies are softer than you think.

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 13:09 »
well i took them to the vets today and Now theres atleast 3 thats gone blind / has a cataract in one/ both eyes. The vet seems to think that it was sum sort of avian flu kinda thing ( cant remember the real name ) when they were around 7 days old - 10, that they got over but is whats caused them to get cataracts now. :( im so gutted. but he took a blood test (( i felt so sorry for her having that needle shoved into her neck ;( )) and will get back to me with the results by monday

joyfull

« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 13:31 »
So sorry, have you let the breeder know? If this is something they caught at that age then any others hatched and kept together are also at risk  :(. I have a feeling that this next week is going to be a very long one for you, hugs to you and your girlies xxx

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2010, 14:07 »
yes ive spoken to the breeder, he doesnt seem to think it is either as he has many birds and none of them have got it.

joyfull

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2010, 14:14 »
could you ring the vets and ask them exactly what they think it is? Obviously what they have is either infectious - in which case keep a close eye on the rest of your girls, or if they had caught something at an early age before they came to you then the breeder should accept the responsibility  :(

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2010, 15:14 »
the vet thinks its the flu thing they caught as chicks that have caused the blindness now, but the breeder denies it .. so  :wacko:

jhub

• jane
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2010, 23:22 »
Hello again,

you must be feeling pretty miserable with 3 chooks now affected - so sorry.

I too would be interested in what type of avian 'flu' when you next see the vet.

Fingers crossed the others are ok.
Jane x

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 09:40 »
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/9/avian-encephalomyelitis-epidemic-tremors <--- Avian Encephalomyelitis epidemic Tremors <--- thats what the vet was on about.

•A few recovered birds may develop cataracts weeks after infection.

joyfull

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 14:48 »
I have the book that the poultry site gets their info from (excellent book and well worth getting - you order it through their site) and looked at the symptoms but missed the bit about the cataracts as that appears in the post mortem lesions section and not in the signs part.
As it states that the virus in the faeces may survive for 4 weeks you will have to do a real good pooh clean up and disinfection (I use Vanodine V18 as this kills lots of viruses). The chances are that they have the lateral type as opposed to the vertical type. How long have you had these birds?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 14:53 by joyfull »

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 16:02 »
Ive had them AFTER they had this virus, I had them from 10 wks old till now, since the 15th April this year so .

joyfull

« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 16:16 »
I'm not saying that you had the virus there as I am sure you would have noticed the tremours etc, but I would still err on the side of caution and use a good disinfectant to be sure that they hadn't harboured the virus from when you got them. The cattaracts are a sign that they have recovered.

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 16:22 »
been cleaning them out daily, making sure the poo is taken out of the coop, the problem im having atm with the poo is outside, as its very wet and the chickens droppings are very wet and loose, hard to pic up, dnt wanna disinfect the outside as it surely wuld make the chickens ill eating from the disinfected grass :S ?

BlackRockLovers

• Cheap horse rugs
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 16:25 »
since taking the 3 chickens to the vets yesterday i think they got a bit stressed as im missing 3 eggs today and it would make sense if they came from the 3 that went to the vets :S :(

jhub

• jane
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2010, 20:46 »
not surprised they're feeling stressed, I imagine you must be too, so........meal worms for your girls and wine and chocolate for you. x x

jhub

• jane
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 13:57 »
Hello again,
apparently there's a breed of chickens that are either born blind or go blind within a few weeks of birth who manage very well so perhaps your girls will adapt with time and routine?
Good luck
JAne

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Chicken in a box

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2010, 15:24
by 8doubles
xx
i got a new chicken... well two actually :)

Started by babe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 20:33
by Jellyhead
xx
same chicken?

Started by k4t1e195 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 19, 2010, 07:58
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 40 queries.