Carrots?

• 33 Replies

Poolman

• Experienced Member
Carrots?
« on: April 18, 2012, 22:32 »
Evening all,

First off thanks for a great site and forum learnt a lot in a short space, anyways i grow in swimming pool which is filled with top soil (a lot of stones), am I to late to plant some carrots ? Any recommendations on types general advice etc

Thanks in advance

Jamie
New grower here - handle with care!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrots?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 22:43 »
No, not too late at all.

If your soil is stony, I would advise trying to remove the bigger stones from the carrot location, plus growing a shorter or even round variety which might fork less.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 23:01 »
Not too late for us up here.   We plant from now and on through to mid summer.  Just started our carrots last weekend, but have done no more since these constant torrents of rain and hailstones - next weekend hopefully we'll restart.  We've been happy with early Nantes and Autumn King - in heavy clay soil,  though not especially stoney. 

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 23:33 »
i also am growing autumn king in heavy clay soil with lots of stone.my first time growing anything ,but from what i have gleamed from the other experienced grower,s on here a carrot forks when it hits a small stone on it,s downward path so you will not get a pretty one but at least you grew it and the taste should match the satisfaction of having produced it yourself pulled it up washed it and then put it in the pot !!!  :D
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:11 »
On the subject of carrots, i have sowed two varieties and both are starting to show, at what point should i net them?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 07:32 »
On the subject of carrots, i have sowed two varieties and both are starting to show, at what point should i net them?

NOW

As soon as the leaves show they smell of carrot, and along come those darling black flies
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 18:33 »
Thanks for the tips everyone I have marked out the carrot bed and will try and remove as Manu stones as possible and maybe add some compost, hopefully that will help.

Did not know I needed to net carrots ?

Thanks again for the advice

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 18:38 »
It's a precaution against carrot fly, which can decimate your crop.

It needs to be very fine mesh, such as "Veggiemesh" or "Enviromesh". A plain net curtain would be OK for a smallish area.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 18:39 »
Make sure you use the right sort of net Poolman - it needs to be very fine (and very well fastened down) to stop the carrot flies - I think Enviromesh was the first brand name on the scene but there are several other alternatives now.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 18:41 »
Glad you agree!  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 18:44 »
Glad you agree!  :lol:

Oh dear - must try harder (and quicker!)  :tongue2:  :lol:

Poolman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 19:07 »
Thanks against. I have some autumn king 2 which I tried last year but only planted in pots, trying a few more this year will try and find the mesh online. I assume you use canes and secure the mesh to this leaving a space enough for the carrots to grow foliage

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Really new to all this but wish to learn!!

Tar v much

viettaclark

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:47 »
Autumn King is better sown in .....the Autumn! It's bred to take cold and the carrots will stay in over the winter.
If you want to sow now Early Nantes is a good starter carrot.
Netting needs to cover the plants and be very fine mesh or insects get through. Debris netting is good or people use environmesh. I just prop mine up with bamboos but I have deep raised beds to push the sticks into. I have been known to while away winter evenings sowing up the lines of fixing holes (pretty sure Mum does too!) but it's not really necessary. Just make sure there are no gaps at the bottom.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 03:07 »
from what little i uderstand the carrot fly only can fly around 8" aove the ground i have some in soil and some in  1ft square containers -- i w ill see what does best :wub:somebody else will probably give you beter advice as a  i am new to growing and my info is from johns book,s and this site   ???

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 06:42 »
Autumn King is better sown in .....the Autumn!

Sorry to disagree but is called Autumn King as they are ready for Autumn. If you wait to sow until then, you won't get a crop.

They can be late sown, June & July, maybe August at a push, but autumn is too late.

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
carrots - help!!!

Started by teena on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 19, 2007, 17:58
by sweet nasturtium
xx
carrots

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2017, 21:15
by TheWhiteRabbit
xx
carrots etc etc

Started by celtbhoy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 15:00
by Aidy

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 39 queries.