Polythene framed greenhouses

• 4 Replies

Zippy

Polythene framed greenhouses
« on: October 21, 2010, 21:13 »
I bought a polythene type greenhouse with snap-to framework which I picked up from Aldi two years ago for £30.  The polythene has lasted two years but the framework and shelving is still good for quite a few years yet.  Dimensions are 5 feet wide by 6 tall (sloping) by 2.5 deep.  It has been invaluable in starting many plants off early.

My questions:

Would it be more cost effective to buy a more expensive model - are there models with more photo-stable polythenes?

Would it make more sense to find a model with replacement polythene covers; but I presume they would be more expensive.

Is £15 per year a reasonable outlay? I haven't got room for a glass and frame greenhouse and not sure one would pay for itself.  What do other folks do?

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: Polythene framed greenhouses
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 21:38 »
Homebase and I think some other large garden centres stock the replacement covers.  However also check on EBay, there is one there that I think is the right size for £15.90.  There may be others cheaper as I haven't looked too closely.  I have a bigger one the covers seem to last about 3 years with a bit of tape to hold it together in the last year if the wind got to it towards the end of year 2!  The frames do seem to rust a bit but one of mine is still going after 5 years although I do take them down from the end of September to about April time.

Zippy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 21:43 »
Thanks for that. Mine came with a clear cover and a clear cover reinforced with nylon grids.

I think the clear one may have been to increase the warmth inside rather than as an outside cover, but I was concerned the reinforced cover might not be letting in enough light - seedlings seemed drawn.

I'll try and find a suitable replacement as the framework is still ok.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 21:48 »
I have some large cloche-type construction with that grid reinforced poly cover, and they do seem to let in enough light, as well asplants being saved from scorching on those hot days that now seem to long ago  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Zippy

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 22:18 »
Found a reasonable deal on eBay as suggested- thanks

xx
polythene for polytunnel

Started by emotion-2003 on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 22:41
by emotion-2003
xx
polytunnel polythene

Started by redwine@roses on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 12:59
by mumofstig
xx
polythene greenhouse?

Started by chumpchange on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 23:02
by Chillitoes
xx
About to buy a tunnel - what polythene?

Started by ambodach on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 08, 2015, 17:07
by m1ckz

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 34 queries.