what to do if your neighbour sprays chemicals?

• 7 Replies

rhian13

what to do if your neighbour sprays chemicals?
« on: June 15, 2009, 20:18 »
Hello

Just got back from my plot, and I'm trying really hard to grow organically. I realise there is a time and place where chemicals can be used responsibly, but my neighbour hasn't been very responsible. . Its quite an exposed site, and nearly always windy. My neighbouring plotholder sprayed a 5litre can of roundup and a whole bottle of Provado Ultimate Bug Killer (she doesn't go up there much and there is a big weed & blackfly problem). My other neighbour said she didn't look like she knew what she was doing, and as it was windy, it went everywhere.......

My plot is downwind and today, my gooseberries look really scorched, I am worried what else might have got damaged - what should I do? could it be the herbicide?
I think it may have drifted on to my plot  :(

any advice greatly appreciated
Thanks

beansticks

Re: what to do if your neighbour sprays chemicals?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 20:54 »
How inconsiderate can people be!I sincerely hope you have not suffered from drifting.Complain like hell to whoever runs the site,committee or local authority.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 22:41 »
Sorry to hear about this :(

You'll be able to tell what may / may not have been affected within the next few days, as you'll see the yellowing that is a symptom of weedkiller damage (as you've noticed on the goosegogs).  No yellowing and the crops will be fine.

I'd do two things.  Firstly, if you're sure of what you've been told by your other neighbour i.e. that it is weedkiller damage, and that it was caused by the first neighbour, then I'd mention it to the powers that be, as beansticks said.  I wouldn't get too heated about it this time round, but just making sure it's been noted at this stage and so that if it happens again greater action can be taken.

Secondly, I would speak to the person and point out the damage which has been done, and ask them to ensure they only spray on a windless day and not near your plot in any event.  If they are dismissive, also report that.

As for eating anything, I'm fairly robust and wouldn't bother worrying, but if you're organic then you may prefer not to eat the goosegogs if the fruit looks affected.

NB, someone else had a similar thing happen to them recently, albeit deliberate action by a well-meaning neighbour.  It may have been Teen76 in Chatting on the Plot.  A range of responses and advice were offered, from mild-mannered 'have words' to 'get him back'.  One useful post pointed out that he still had to garden alongside the neighbour, for the time being at least, and that a less assertive / aggressive approach in the first instance might be a better tactic.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 22:43 by Yorkie1 »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:25 »
Roundup normally takes a fair while to show that it is having any effect ... so either she didn't use Roundup :( or maybe its something unrelated? :)

rhian13

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 21:21 »
Hello

thanks for all your helpful replies, I have been keeping an eye on my plants and one gooseberry has now died, the others are still alive, but are quite yellow. They were young plants so haven't really produced much fruit. I only know its roundup because my plot neighbour has left all the empty spray cans behind (she has got through 10litres now) all the path is brown & dead, and my goosgogs were next to the path. The rest of my crops seem ok, luckily.

I don't really want a confrontation, but there might be more damage if the spraying continues, if I lose all 3 goosgog bushes I will be upset. So I better to do something :(

I'll speak to the allotment office first thing in the morning, thanks everyone

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 21:23 »
10 litres  :blink: :blink:

I assume that's the pre-diluted stuff?  It's still an awful lot

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 23:55 »
If you have not taken photos then it would be a good idea. Memories are short and often not exact. Also write down dates.
Photos of
Damaged plants
Treated areas of your neighbours plot next to yours
Empty containers.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 07:26 »
Financial compensation comes to my mind.  If the neighbour has killed your plants then she should pay to replace them !

xx
chemicals for allotments

Started by peterjf on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 23:31
by Salmo
xx
sprays to use

Started by wales1000 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 22:53
by Yorkie
xx
weed control without chemicals

Started by keeper on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post August 29, 2014, 19:35
by Nobbie
xx
Watch your chemicals, folks!

Started by gobs on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 22:14
by BigPaddy

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 35 queries.