All gone :-(

• 28 Replies

Steveharford

All gone :-(
« on: August 22, 2015, 20:09 »
I love a good thunder storm and my god we just had one. Unfortunately it came with what must have been a tornado as my greenhouse has landed in my neighbours drive, the second one is shredded, a tree has now blocked our entrance gate, the gazebo is just no more, every runner bean and its cane is flat on the floor, and I've just picked up some pots of jalapeņos which my neighbour kindly picked up from his drive.And my nicely dried onions are now soaked.  So. No more tomatoes, or beans for us. Not sure I will bother next year to be honest. Devastated:-(

Mrs Bee

Re: All gone :-(
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 22:11 »
Oh Steve that is such rotten luck.

Not surprised you are devastated.

Give it a little while  tho' and you may feel differently about next year.

Once next years seed catalogues come through the letter box you might get your enthusiasm back.
X

Goneterseed

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 23:39 »
Those seed catalogues have a lot to answer for.  :)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 23:57 »
Awww Steve, so sorry to hear that.  You are a gardener, you will pick yourself up again I'm sure, but I'm not surprised you are devastated after losing everything!

But as long as you and your family are okay, that's more important!  xxxxxx

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 06:44 »
That is devastating  :(  I hope you can salvage something, but it must feel rotten right now :(

snow white

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 08:04 »
Count this year as a right off.   :(   Give it a bit of time before you make any decisions about giving up.  They are only things and plants.  You have not lost anyone dear to you and material possessions can be replaced.  Don't let the weather beat you and if you decide to have another go, just produce veggies that don't need molly coddling in a greenhouse.  Grown short veggies.  Even runner beans have a short cousin.  Use this forum for help to grow things in difficult conditions.  And take heart that we are here to help you with our ideas and experiences. 

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 09:44 »
That must be heartbreaking, Steve. Do you often get bad storms? I found this on Wikipedia that sounds similar:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Malvern_tornado_of_1761

Best of luck with the clear-up. It must be depressing looking at all your lovingly tended plants smashed in next to no time after all your efforts.

We've had strange weather this year that left me feeling similarly devastated in early spring. We've lost just about all our fruit and nut trees and my vegetable patch was rendered unusable. I'm in a lucky position that we have other land I could turn over to a small veg patch. I have to say that the changes I've had to deal with have made me rethink a lot of my earlier ideas. It sounds a bit trite to mention the Chinese thing about crisis and opportunity being the same. But it has been the case for me. I am sure that it could be the same for you.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 10:26 »
Flipping heck, Steve!  :ohmy: I am so sorry but, as said, the main thing is that you are ok. Things can be put right in time for next year so don't you dare give up or GG will wing-slap you! I'm going to take a punt and say that your onions will dry out ok as it's all about drying out the water in the skins not what's fallen on them, and it's just possible that some other things may recover - I hope so anyway. Please let us know how you get on. xxx
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 10:37 »
Heavens!  You really did catch it!!   :ohmy:  House all right - the roof tiles didnt follow the greenhouse?

Runners are tough things - stand the canes up again (if they arent snapped at the base) and chances are they will keep going.

But otherwise, take your time, tidy up and as snoop says, have a think.  Bearing in mind that a wind like that in August is sooooo not normal!  In Malvern!!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Steveharford

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 13:42 »
Thanks everyone. Clear up almost complete.Now rained off.  Managed to salvage a couple of chillies and jalapeņos. And my few outside tomatoes against the house wall survived the full onslaught. Strange. I have yet to face the runner beans but will need wife's help when she gets back from work and it might just be worth trying to upright them and maybe a couple might be intact. But they are completely and utterly flat but you never know.  One silver lining of that unbelievable cloud is that I have acquired some very nice bullace smoking wood :-).
Thanks again everyone for your very kind thoughts. I need a snooze.

Steveharford

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 14:09 »
To be fair I don't think my lovely gazebo stood a chance against what was coming.
image.jpg

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 14:20 »
Sorry to hear that Steve, and just glad no one was hurt whilst it was all flying around. I'm with GG that the onions will be fine once they've dried off again, and not to give up!  It sounds like a freak event, so hopefully once the damage is cleared up you'll feel better. Best regards, G&R

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 17:03 »
To be fair I don't think my lovely gazebo stood a chance against what was coming.

Oh dear, it didn't stand a chance did it?   You are quite open there too.

But look on the bright side, you are upright and OK.

And in time, when the memory has faded and the sun shines you may feel like planting again.

jambop

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 17:42 »
Steve really sad to hear that you have been affected so badly but hey! Chin up and dig in, its the gardeners way. Besides I am getting you a batch of seed read so hope you take this hit and rebound as keen as ever!

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 19:57 »
My turn now...

Having managed to pick myself up after flooding in the spring and starting again, I'm back to less than square one. I've just been down to have a look at my veg patch. It's totally and utterly shredded. All I'll be able to salvage is maybe a few cabbages, if that.

But I wasn't surprised at what I saw. We've just had an almighty hailstorm with hailstones getting on for the size of golf balls followed by pounding rain. It went on for ages. We were expecting a storm from the state of the clouds, but not as bad as this. In preparation we had both car windscreens covered up with two layers of carpet and blanket. Both bust. You can imagine what the bonnets look like. Our skylights in the bathroom and kitchen have gone the same way.

The dogs were indoors but terrified. The cats were all out. One has just turned up and I hope the other two managed to find somewhere to take shelter. Under a tree wouldn't have done as they've suffered a lot of damage too, and the ground is littered with leaf matter, twigs and small branches. The chickens are all traumatised but glad of some of the damaged tomatoes to cheer them up. I think there are about three tomatoes left for us. No peppers, no aubergines, no sweetcorn, no courgettes, no green beans, no broccoli, no caulis, no carrots, no melons, no squash. Pretty well no nothing apart from the potatoes underground. The haulms are totally ruined.

Very sad about the veg patch as it gave me a lot of pleasure and it's what keeps us fed during the winter when we get cut off by rain and snow. Not this year, evidently. Better get lots of tinned peas and green beans in!

Unbelievably, the solar panels look to be still intact. We'll find out for sure if they're working tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Page created in 0.339 seconds with 39 queries.