Kinda new to all this.

• 7 Replies

HarrysMum

Kinda new to all this.
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:59 »
Hello, I am just trying to do some research as I have recently moved and I will be looking to keep some chickens.  I grew up with chickens from the age of 7 until I was about 15, we inherited 3 chickens from the previous house owners and then my parents added to the group, but of course I was young and didn't know all the in's and outs of keeping.

Anyway I have sourced a wooden chicken coop, which I hope to pick up soon and I have cage and wire for the run....... My problem is the chickens themselves.....which breed do I go for? ..... I would like to have around 5-6 hens, I woud like to re home a couple of three ex bats eventually, and even though they will probably lay I am not expecting them too and so I would like 2-3 that lay. Now is it easy/wise to buy day olds an rear them, or shoud I pay a bit more for older chickens? ..... What makes ou decide on the breed? Is it temperament, colour, laying ability, quirkiness? I really don't know what to be looking for.

Any advice would be highly appreciated :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 21:11 by Aunt Sally »

ehs284

Re: Kinda new to all this.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 18:50 »
Black Rocks might be a good bet. They are tough as old boots, live a long time, are friendly and easy to handle and don't seem to have many problems. They do, however, love to explore and eat polystyrene. Never leave the top off your water stop tap when they are around  :).

HarrysMum

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 18:59 »
Thank you I will go look up Black Rocks ;)

Debbieta

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 20:35 »
Hi there and welcome to this mad world we live in!
I'm afraid it will come down to personal choice and what combination you find available when you are ready.
Having incubated chicks last year, it is time consuming to have them from chicks, however lovely the idea!, and unless you go for an auto-sex breed you wouldn't be guaranteed all hens.
My first lot where a mottley bunch of light sussex, maran and orpington which I bought from someone downsizing, which I have then added to.  We also have cream leg bar and welsummer which give blue and dark brown eggs respectively.  Now have rhode island red and ancona from chicks.
I love having large pure breed, but if you want guaranteed egg a day production I guess hybrid is the way to go!
Good luck in deciding.
Debbie

HarrysMum

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 20:59 »
Hi there and welcome to this mad world we live in!
I'm afraid it will come down to personal choice and what combination you find available when you are ready.
Having incubated chicks last year, it is time consuming to have them from chicks, however lovely the idea!, and unless you go for an auto-sex breed you wouldn't be guaranteed all hens.
My first lot where a mottley bunch of light sussex, maran and orpington which I bought from someone downsizing, which I have then added to.  We also have cream leg bar and welsummer which give blue and dark brown eggs respectively.  Now have rhode island red and ancona from chicks.
I love having large pure breed, but if you want guaranteed egg a day production I guess hybrid is the way to go!
Good luck in deciding.
Debbie

Thank you for taking the time to answer ...... I have been looking at many breeds online and once I get the coop and run in place I think I will then start to actually look around at breeders to see which ones appeal.  One thing you maybe able to answer ..... S it better to get ex ats first then add later on a few from a breeder OR get some from breeder then add ex bats later ..... Or again s this personal choice? ..... My mum said today that she flt if I added ex bats later there is more f a cance for the established ones to attack? ...... I can see her way of thinking but I have also read many successful intros of ex bats to established groups.

Thank you x

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 21:05 »
Hi, as Debbietta has said, unless you buy chicks that can be sexed at hatching, you could find yourself with cockerals, and chicks will need to be kept under a heat lamp. You're better off going for point of lay hens, that way you shouldn't have to wait for months for your first egg. Rhode island reds are good layers of light brown eggs but it really is down to personal choice. Try to stay clear of silkies if it's eggs you want as they are well known for going broody, and they don't lay for several weeks when broody. Take your time choosing, and have a good look at the birds, are they lively? do they look healthy? are they breathing normally? are the conditions they are kept in good? There's a garden centre near where I live and I was looking at their hens a couple of weeks ago, a lot of them were standing around with their eyes closed, this is not a good sign. good luck and don't forget to post pictures when you get them.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 21:08 »
Whenever you add new hens to an existing flock there will be fights and you need to keep the newbies separate for a while in case of introducing any infections. It shouldn't make any difference whether they are ex bats or not except ex bats are more stressed to begin with.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 23:59 »
Black Rocks are a good hardy breed so ideal for someone to start off with.  You are guaranteed hens as they can be sexed at day old.  Best to get from an authorised Black Rock supplier though to guarantee genuine Black Rocks.   :) 

www.theblackrockhatchery.co.uk/agents.htm

www.blackrockhens.co.uk/
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Fresh advice,kinda new to this.

Started by D.Bates on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 30, 2007, 18:59
by D.Bates

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 34 queries.