over wintered plants

• 5 Replies

teena

over wintered plants
« on: December 31, 2007, 11:35 »
hi  on 4th & 6th nov i planted 'felthem first' peas and 'bunyards exhib' broad beans to overwinter. imagine my surprise when on visiting the plot this morning they are all up poking out of the manure i'd covered them with.
is this normal?  
they are about 1-2 inches high. should i leave them or cover them with some more compost. i have never tried overwintering before so its all new to me. we live between chesterfield and mansfield and the site is quite exposed.
any advice would be welcome. thanks
trying to get the best from every day

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
over wintered plants
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2007, 11:56 »
They've had nearly 2 months to grow so it's not suprising that they're poking through :!:

I always sow in spring so I've no real experience, but if I was doing this I'd be inclined to thow some fleece over them. rather than  cover them with more compost. Plants also need light to survive.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

over wintered plants
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 14:18 »
I agree, don't put manure on at all, they should be hardy, but a bit of protection will be welcome, especially for the peas and as you say you are on an exposed site.

If the shoots are little look out for frost forecasts and rush to cover, if any.

Broad beans I do not use protection for, BUT I use a different variety, in fact I can't remember if Bunyards is recommended for over wintering. :?

Anybody? :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
over wintered plants
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 17:01 »
They can overwinter but  there are hardier ones. i'd give them some form of protection. wont do any harm and better safe than sorry,
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

gobs

over wintered plants
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 09:33 »
Thanks, DD, that's what I  found, too. Recommended for winter hardiness are Aquadulce and Sutton. Bunyard's can be sown both in autumn and spring.

So it's a cover up, as said. :)

Hampshire Hog

over wintered plants
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 16:29 »
Teena I have grown over wintered broad beans with good results.(Better  than Spring sown as you avoid the black fly)

If you have an exposed plot you could benefit from using a windbreak. I have erected a small one this year made out of some strong clear plastic sheeting supported on canes. Not amazing but takes the edge off the icy blast going across my plot.

Good luck

HH
Keep digging

xx
Over-wintered stuff...

Started by Rob the rake on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 24, 2022, 22:52
by Rob the rake
xx
Over wintered onions.

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 18, 2020, 09:28
by mumofstig
xx
over wintered spinich

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 23, 2014, 09:22
by compostqueen
xx
Over-Wintered Potatoes

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 24, 2015, 16:50
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 28 queries.