Quail help

• 22 Replies

Mulberry1990

• Experienced Member
Re: Quail help
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 09:06 »
We're moving ours into an aviary soon because we did notice that one of them was cutting her head when she was flying into the roof, so they're being upgraded!
We're also moving them because I lost one when I was feeding them and it took me a couple of hours to catch her again, so the aviary has a double door entry system so they can't escape when I go in!
Ours were a bit useless at laying to begin with, we got 1 egg the first two days we had them then nothing for about six months! But now we get between 3-5 a day which is good!
4 Dogs: Stanley, Oscar, Borris and Scraps, 8 chickens: Prada, Mulberry, Alessi, Apple, Dior, Bobbi, Eve and Fendi, 2 Guinea Pigs: Rupert and Milo, 3 Rabbits: Louis, Daisy and Charlie 2 Fish: Sandy and Pebbles, 6 Quail

coughdrop

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 18:43 »
Thanks for all the info, mine are only 4 weeks old on sunday, but i will change the food if i am lucky enough to get any eggs, they are so cute i am not getting anything done for watching them lol, they are pretty calm and getting used to being touched now, just hope the majority are girls,

juliemax1

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2011, 23:08 »
hi i have some in the incubator at mo im between scunthorpe and doncaster?

Sassy

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 08:12 »
hi i have some in the incubator at mo im between scunthorpe and doncaster?

You'll think you've hatched bumble bees!! Good luck :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2011, 20:58 »
Just like any other laying bird they need the extra calcium etc that layers pellets provide.

I am not sure that chick crumb will provide everything they need.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Sassy

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2011, 08:52 »
They do need a slightly higher protein ration than chickens. I use chick crumb without ACS and get daily eggs from each of them. Quail eggshells are naturally quite thin but the membranes are very tough. I think turkey food is the recommended ration for them but it is hard to obtain. If you want to give them extra calcium bake some egg shell in the oven and grind up small and offer it separately.

They also need grit but the stuff for hens is too large so use budgie/caged birds grit. :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:54 by Sassy »

coughdrop

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 09:28 »
I got them some budgie grit yesterday, the last lot was quite fine, but this lot is just a tad courser, i will bake some egg shells for them too and see if the supplier can get turkey food, if not i will see if my son in law can get me some, he works for a turkey farm at Christmas time. It was the guy where i bought the chick crumb from that said to leave them on it all the time, i have given them a bit of scrambled egg to try and they are getting dried meal worms a couple of times a week, and any little fly that dare enter their domain, gets scoffed immediately, they have also tried lettuce, dandelion leaves, brown bread and yesterday some cress, not all together and only in small quantities, they loved the cress and lettuce.
Thank you all for replying.

daisy1990

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 21:46 »
we got ours from Storrs poultry and he recommended feeding them on chick crumb.  Ours also have grit bought for our hens and eat it without a problem.  We give them mealworms occasionally which they love and they are on grass and clover (we move them every three days as they eat it flat.  They seem very healthy and today have all six laid for the first time together.  I think you can buy Quail food but not locally and I have no idea what the difference is
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie
xx
quail

Started by davidmostyn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 11:56
by mdueal
xx
Anyone Keep Quail?

Started by Glen on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 21:05
by Glen
xx
Any one got quail or had them ???

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:10
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 38 queries.