sister's dog fouling in deceased father's room

• 8 Replies

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
sister's dog fouling in deceased father's room
« on: September 20, 2011, 19:40 »
just as it says in the subject box.

he goes outside and is fully toilet trained at 3 years old.

otherwise very obedient dog (good citizen - bronze award, working to silver)

but as my sister describes it - its not because he needs to go as it looks likes he's forced himself to do it and its always in my dad's room, when my sister is out. he doesn't go upstairs when anyone is home and he knows he's not allowed up there anyway.

my dad passed away in that room in august last year and the bed has been stripped down, floors hoovered and curtains washed since then. and she does tend to keep the door shut but sometimes forgets.

that said - you could go days/weeks without an incident and suddenly he'll pee in there one day and foul the next. he also knows he's done wrong because he comes to greet her with head down and tail curled in when she comes in. he never had an accident indoors since the day we got him at 4 months.

any suggestions other than keeping the door shut?
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: sister's dog fouling in deceased father's room
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45 »
Not sure on this one Shetan but was your Dad leader of the pack so to speak in the eyes of the dog?  If so it could be his way of trying to take over dominance or he does not know where he is in the pack any more.  He is marking your Dads room as his territory by fouling and peeing.  Dogs need to know their place in the pack and he may feel that he is mature now and ready to challenge the hierarchy.  If this is the case he needs to have someone to take over your Dads place to make him feel safe and secure again.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:41 »
As Anhbuc said it could be a territorial thing, maybe putting one of the dogs blankets or beds in there could work. It would put the dogs own smell in there without him having to 'mark' it himself?

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 14:41 »
thank you for the suggestions.

the dogs (brothers) have never been top of our pack. we actually feed them both last in both households. the rabbits, budgies and chooks get fed first and then they do. they aren't allowed upstairs or in the kitchen and are on the whole fabulous boys.

however, this little boy has always been the baby - he was the runt of the litter and he plays the baby card to his advantage :)

i don't know about trying to take top spot as he was trained by and listens most to my sister but dad was home with him all day. my sister works from 9 to 5 and comes home at lunch time to spend an hour with him and takes him out for long, long walks to keep him from pining. maybe he's protesting about being at home without dad?

he has always had adhd tendancies and goes on like an ever ready battery but for her he is the most obedient dog anyone could ask for. he was off his food for a long time which is understandable but he has regained his appetite over time. he's still slim for a gsd and sheds more than his longer haired brother which makes me wonder if he is still missing dad.

he's a born worrier and never completely relaxes but we knew that when we took him on. i think she's just worried that he's unhappy and she can't make it better for him.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 16:56 »
If you have any clothes with your dads scent on or an old pair of slippers to leave with the dog during the day that might help.  You could also try leaving the radio or tv on whichever channel your dad used to listen to.  He obviously got loads of comfort from your dad and as they are pack animals he is bound to pine for him.   :(

Wishing you loads of luck.   :)

Helencroft

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 17:51 »
i have used a homeopathic vet to treat some of my dog's problems. for instance he is scared of loud wind.  I have found it to be very successful.

HTH

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 08:22 »
thanks guys. have passed on the suggestions and hopefully they'll work. fingers crossed

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:39 »
I think dogs do feel grief, so he could be going through a mourning period.  It's hard to deal with this sort of thing when you're upset yourself.

The suggestions of a jumper or something that smells of your dad in the dog's bed might work, as the smell would be gradually overlaid by the dog's own smell.  Also, leaving a radio on could create the illusion that the house is not completely deserted, as the dog spent so much time with your dad.

Good luck with this.
ManicMum

shetan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:55 »
just a quick update - yesterday my sister came home from work and the dog had eaten a volt detector. it was in the bookcase with a door! he pulled the door back with his paws (no teeth  marks on handle), rifled through the contents and picked dads detector to chew on.

apparently he came to the door to great her very sheepishly and then proceeded to whine and yelp at her feet before letting her into the house.

she said she didn't tell him off - just ignored him. kept quiet while tidying it up and then sat down on the floor and let him come to her. petted him and calmed him down but he was whine-y most of the evening.

he's high intelligent and we know he is still grieving even a year on. i passed on your suggestions and she's put one of his blankets in dad's room and dad's socks in his bed so we'll see how things go and i'll keep you posted.

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 35 queries.