Where to site roof windows in greenhouse

• 3 Replies

Penric

Where to site roof windows in greenhouse
« on: June 18, 2020, 12:16 »
Hi there
I’m new to this group. Never owned a greenhouse or grown vegetables before and have finally started this year at the ripe age of 60 together with my hubby. We have bought a Halls Qube 6x8 greenhouse and have two opening windows. We are just wondering where is the best place to site them? Near or away from the doors and both at the same place each side or staggered? Any advice would be appreciated. As I said, we are new to all of this, but both excited to start something different.....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Where to site roof windows in greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 13:23 »
Welcome to the forum:)
I've no special knowledge of to where's the best place to put them, for heat or ventilation purposes …...
but, when I was glazing the roof of mine I found it was easier to put one window between the 2nd and 3rd roof struts on one side and between the 3rd and 4th struts on the other.. It simply helped me with fitting the top-most glazing clips, because I could reach out of the opened windows  :lol: :lol:
Good luck!

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 13:33 »
Good (wet) morning Penric,  I positioned my manually opening window on the down (non prevailing) wind side of the greenhouse and I believe knowing a little about the theory of flight, I believe a low pressure area was formed and drew / sucked the window open, dropping it back and breaking the glass.  I was too lazy to loclk the strut.

Cheers,  Tony  (HTH) ::)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 15:13 »
My 8X6' GH only came with one opening roof window, so I positioned it on the lee side (i.e. same as Klefti.)

The hope was that by doing that I would reduce the odds of blight spores being blown inside on the prevailing wind.
Mine is fitted with an automatic opener, so no problems with greenhouse aerodynamics and breakages!

If I had two I'd probably do what Mum has done (there aren't too many options for an 8X6 GH, unless you put them both on the same side, and I can't think of any advantage in doing that.)

Hope it proves to be productive and enjoyable for you both.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 39 queries.