Salsify

• 9 Replies

raisedbed

Salsify
« on: April 10, 2010, 20:40 »
Evening All,

I had about 2 square metres of space left at the end of the carrot/parsnip bed so have planted salsify.  My trusty hand book tells me that its an winter vegetable so hopefully this will give me a little bit more veg in the leaner months.

Has anyone grown it before and is it nice!

Thanks

raisedbed

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Salsify
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 21:01 »
If it were a fantastic veg everyone would be growing it and it would always be on the supermarket shelves.

Not prolific, not easy to prepare or tasty enough for me but that's just my opinion and my vote only counts once!  :blush:

(It's often called the "vegetable oyster" but don't be either excessively encouraged or discouraged by that!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:31 »
We got three meals from our bed, which was about half the size of the Parsnip bed (and they must have given us a dozen meals)

Yup, checked Dr Hessayon and his "yield" figures suggest twice as much from Parsnips as from Salisfy (ditto Scorzonera).

Par boiled, then peeled (skin rubs off, but very fiddly to peel before boiling, and the roots "bleed" then sauteed. Tasted lovely, but not on re-heating and not plain boiled or just chucked in the baking tray in the oven with the Sunday Roast.

So I'm not bothering this year, but I may have a more concerted go another year. I might try growing them in a planting hole just filled with sand, or 50:50 sand/compost mix, to see if the roots can be encouraged to fatten up a bit more.

Expectation exceeded outcome, in my case :(

P.S. They are always in the seed rack though ... I presume people most be growing them? or the seed is dirt cheep to produce so they don't mind the overall wastage?

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:51 »
Personally I adore salsify.  I've only grown it at home before in a small veg bed and the yield hasn't been bad.  I've got a bigger space for it on the lotty so I'm hoping for a good yield.  It's in a well drained bit so I'm hoping I can get away with leaving the roots in the ground over winter without too many problems.

Steamed with a bit of butter ... bliss!  I've never understood why it isn't more popular here.  Go into any French supermarket and you'll always find tinned salsify.

:D

Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 10:53 »

Steamed with a bit of butter ... bliss!  I've never understood why it isn't more popular here.  Go into any French supermarket and you'll always find tinned salsify.

..............not to mention frog's legs and snails...............!  8)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 18:14 »

..............not to mention frog's legs and snails...............!  8)

I'll stick with the salsify if that's OK  :D

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 20:31 »
We have tried this in a bed this year although I am still waiting for a single one to appear  ??? so maybe it wont be a huge crop  :wacko:

gypsy

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 23:14 »

mmmmmm, I just love it cooked like that.

Catherine

sandra d

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 18:17 »
I`m up in the northeast and I leave mine in all winter. I don`t eat it but I love the flowers. Be  warned, it seeds its self everywhere.

raisedbed

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 19:12 »
Thanks for the comments. 

Regardless of whether I like it or not I now have four 5 foot long rows.  Seems like another vegetable that likes a long growing season.

Thanks

raisedbed

xx
Salsify tip

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 21:33
by SUTTY1
xx
Salsify

Started by dickpiggot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2007, 10:12
by ytyynycefn
xx
Salsify

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 01, 2011, 05:17
by Growster...
xx
Salsify

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 02, 2009, 11:06
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 29 queries.