Letting chicks with mum out of run

• 3 Replies

susiecool

Letting chicks with mum out of run
« on: June 13, 2011, 21:03 »
When can you let a mother and her chicks out of a fully enclosed run and in with other hens?  My hen is a good mother but getting stressed from being enclosed in a small run.

Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Letting chicks with mum out of run
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 21:18 »
I have one with 5 week old chicks out and about and another with chicks that were hatched in the hedgerow just a couple of days ago out and about - I never have a problem letting mine out  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

evie2

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 21:19 »
Hello Susie, welcome to our ever growing family :D

We kept Star and her chicks in their own run for the first week then let them out into a bigger run that was uncovered for another few days.  The other 4 big hens 'visited', there were no problems so mum and chicks joined the rest of the hens in the garden.  She takes the chicks back to the broody coop every night and is sometimes joined by one of the 'aunties'  ::) :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 22:56 »
We've never separated our natural hatched chicks from the main flock - the mother hen does a very good job of keeping the others at bay and then by the time she decides she is bored with them they are part of the flock and accepted - if at the bottom of the pecking order.

Incubator raised chicks are different - I move them to where they can be seen at 4-6 weeks depending on the weather and then they get to run with the big flock at about 10-12 weeks. At this time they appear to be tolerated as long a they mind their Ps and Qs and integrate fully over time.

For the first couple of weeks I do feed the 'teenagers' in the closed run otherwise they would get bullied off.

My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

clip
Here's Our New Chicks!

Started by LittleRedHen on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:22
by LittleRedHen
xx
My First Chicks

Started by Thingy on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post July 20, 2010, 21:37
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
chicks going

Started by k4t1e195 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 21:28
by k4t1e195
xx
Chicks

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 15, 2010, 14:57
by joyfull

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 36 queries.