Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?

• 4 Replies

mclarkuk1

Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:12 »
Last year was my first year of growing tomatos, i pretty much had them in my conservatory all year, and had the door open when it was really hot and occaisonally had them outside.

I had 2 'sweet millions' and 2 'beefsteak' and i put 2 plants per growbag.

I transfered them to 10" pots half way through the season as it was more practical to move them outside etc.

Now, the sweet millions were perfect, so tasty and a one truss on one plant had at least 25 tomatos on - i was very chuffed  :D

But the beesteaks didnt do so well, they had a problem with blossom end rot, none of them survived.

My worry this year is i have a greenhouse now and ive got 4 varietys of tomato and im going to hopefully do 50/50 and have some in the greenhouse and some outside. What do people get thier best results from - grow bags or pots? I believe that my beefsteaks didnt make it because of the soil in the pots wasnt as nutrient rich as a grow bag would be?!  :unsure: I suppose i could use the soil from a grow bag in a pot which would over come that but im still unsure whether to go with grow bags this time round or not?

The next issue is how many plants per grow bag if i were to use them, last year i had 2 plants per grow bag, but am i right in saying they reckon you can get 3 per bag?

thanks in advance for any advice  ::)

Matt

harry

Re: Growbags or pots, plants per grow bag?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 12:32 »
Last year I folded the grow bag in half and cut it in the middle. I then stood each half on its end and put one tomato plant in each half.  :nowink: 8)
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 12:39 »
I still think you would be better off with pots for your toms, it is difficult to keep toms evenly watered in growbags, you can stand pots in a dish or bowl with some water at the bottom.
Blossom end rot is caused when the plants can't take up enough calcium, and this is usually caused when plants don't have enough water, which is why I prefer pots if you can't plant in a soil border.

However a lot of beefsteaks make fruit with weird buttons on the their 'bottoms' :lol: called cat faced toms. I think this is when night time temperatures are low compared to daytime, is this what happened to your, or was it a brown rotted area?

In my experience there is no difference between multipurpose and grow bag compost. You still have to feed tomatoes after the first fruit have set, no matter what compost you use.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 12:58 »
I cut a hole , the size of the bottom of the pot , stand the pot on the growbag , fill the pot with multipurpose or growbag compost and put the tomato plant in the pot because grow bags for me don't hold enough compost for a very thirsty tom ,i stand 2 pots per growbag .

bigben

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 14:18 »
A bucket 2 thirds full of compost with a bottomless pot on top (again almost full of compost) gives a good depth of compost for the toms to root in and allows you to water into the bucket and avoid splashing the tomatoe leaves. I find the depth of compost in a growbag lying flat is very shallow. So even putting a bottomless pot on top it only adds a little more depth.

xx
Minimum size pots to grow tomato plants?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 01:48
by plot36
xx
Pots on growbags

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 21:04
by mumofstig
xx
What do you do with spent compost from pots & growbags?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 12:21
by muntjac
smiley
Outdoor Cucumbers Pots v Growbags

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2019, 11:50
by Kenilworth

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 40 queries.