Which Chilli Pepper variety (Kebabs)

• 24 Replies

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
Re: Which Chilli Pepper variety (Kebabs)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 09:48 »
Most kebab shops do not use jalapeņos even though some say they use jalapeņos. Jalapeņos are too hot so they use a milder type of chilli
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 11:47 »
I thought they might be Jalapeno (as I get 'em with my kebabs as well) but they seem a bit bleached out if you know what I mean?  Maybe its the pickling process as they taste as if they have been pickled - does anyone agree?  :)
They are pickled and yes this blanches the skins slightly, got a load i grew last year, pickled some and they are exactly the same as the ones from kebab shops :) :)
Did you just pop 'em in jars of white vinegar??  I've never pickled anything  :(  But the first things I would try would probably be chillies as I have asbestos mouth and stomach ;) :lol:
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 15:18 »
I thought they might be Jalapeno (as I get 'em with my kebabs as well) but they seem a bit bleached out if you know what I mean?  Maybe its the pickling process as they taste as if they have been pickled - does anyone agree?  :)
They are pickled and yes this blanches the skins slightly, got a load i grew last year, pickled some and they are exactly the same as the ones from kebab shops :) :)
Did you just pop 'em in jars of white vinegar??  I've never pickled anything  :(  But the first things I would try would probably be chillies as I have asbestos mouth and stomach ;) :lol:
its easy mate, just sterelise some jars in either the oven or a pan of boiling water, buy some distilled white vinegar or pickiling vinegar whichever u prefer... pack jars with chillis fill with vinegar, make sure no air pockets and leave for 3-6 months...
There are many ways of pickling you can boil the vinegar which preserves for longer look on the recipe pages on here for pickling recipes there are quite a few i think.. the way ive told you is just the easiest.....
good luck :) :)
new to this, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated and well needed!!

skatenchips

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2011, 21:33 »
Intersting replies folks although still no hard and fast reply on a definative variety.
as it seems your local kebab houses may use different types to what I get from my one here in darkest Surrey.

As you were chatting about the pickling I guess I may as well leave the link I found recently
by a Turkish young woman that uses the TURSU style to pickle her chillies/veg .

hence me wanting to find the CORRECT variety so I can try her pickling style and see what all the fuss is about.

by the way,try some of her other Tukish recipes on the blog,if you like foreign food and can stomache hot and spicy and sugery sweets youll luv some of what you find.

http://www.turkishfoodandrecipes.com/2008/12/pickle-tursu.html

Anyway,im still waiting for the correct variety and will still check back if somebody stumbles over what they think it is.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Gazza

toasted

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 21:55 »
ive got some pickled chillies here these are called macedon peppers and there the ones like they use in kebabs.
also had jars of pepperoncini that were the same.
jalapeno`s  are used in kebabs but there hot and cut across into rings rather than whole, plus there shorter than the pickled ones.
i grew some corno di toro peppers last year thinking they would be the same and pickled them but they were hotter than i wanted but not as hot as jalapeno`s.
your welcome to the seeds i have left as i doubt il grow them again.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 22:58 »
This might be (definitely is) a daft suggestion... but would seeds still germinate after pickling?  :D
Erm, rescue a few seeds from your kebab and experiment??? LOL

mickeyboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 00:31 »
why dont you try posting a pic so we have some clue as to its identity ;) ;)

wozza

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2011, 07:29 »
These are the one that he means

http://www.seedaholic.com/chili-pepper-long-red-slim-cayenne.html#Edibles

one of the cayene family hot but not blow the roof of your guts off hot

Stop food waste, pick your own fresh every day

skatenchips

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2011, 10:05 »

your right,I will take a piccy and get it on here.... :)

top man Toasted,please PM your addy and Ill send you a SAE and will certainly try the seeds you have going as its always great to try new chillies..... ;)

Although your link on the cayenne looks a lot like it there is little heat (just lots of flavour)
in the chillis I have from the kebab shop although I think thats more to do with the Tursu
pickling method....cant deny though the green stage of its growing in the piccy does resemble the * im looking for..... ;)

not sure about trying to grow a seed thats been pickled..!!!!!!!!!!   :blink:

Gazza

bigben

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2011, 14:25 »
Most kebab shops do not use jalapeņos even though some say they use jalapeņos. Jalapeņos are too hot so they use a milder type of chilli

I am not saying your wrong JB but I pickled some scotch bonnet chillis this year and while they were rather too hot in sandwiches with a bit of ham and salad before pickling, I found that the pickling seems to take the edge off the heat and they are now just right.

xx
Pepper Variety

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 17:34
by Auntiemogs
xx
Sweet pepper variety

Started by Flowertot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 02, 2018, 12:50
by Debz
xx
Favourite sweet pepper variety

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 23, 2011, 13:27
by AdrianH
xx
Chilli Pepper

Started by garddwr bach on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 11:48
by garddwr bach

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 36 queries.