Strawberry Jam help

• 10 Replies

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Strawberry Jam help
« on: May 11, 2014, 20:28 »
Hi All - hope someone can help?

Made some Strawberry jam last weekend 2.5kgs Strawbs, 2.5kg Jam Sugar, but it's just not set! (I did the wrinkle test and thought i'd just got it to that point, but I guess not)!

After a week of trying i've finally tracked down some pectin sachets (24g each)... any idea how many i might need to add when I re-boil the jam tomorrow?

TIA
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Spana

Re: Strawberry Jam help
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 20:40 »
There are others here who are more clued up on jam making then me, but while you wait for them, did you use any lemons?

I  could never get strawberry jam to set, now I use the sugar with pectin in it. You only have to boil for 4 minutes so it stays a nice bright colour and fresh flavour. Sorry I know nothing about pectin sachets so no help to you. But at least you know someones read your post. :)

mjpalin

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 21:28 »
There are others here who are more clued up on jam making then me, but while you wait for them, did you use any lemons?

I  could never get strawberry jam to set, now I use the sugar with pectin in it. You only have to boil for 4 minutes so it stays a nice bright colour and fresh flavour. Sorry I know nothing about pectin sachets so no help to you. But at least you know someones read your post. :)

Thanks Spana - the jam sugar has the pectin in it... think I may have boiled too long ..... decided to boil for longer as the batch I made a few weeks ago was only just set... so i thought boiling for longer would make it set more... and yes added a good few squeezes of lemon juice to aide the process (or so I thought)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 21:41 »
I wonder if you're using too much fruit. With a 1kg of jam sugar with pectin I think you need only 800g of fruit. So with 2.5kg sugar, 2kg fruit.

mjpalin

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 21:57 »
I wonder if you're using too much fruit. With a 1kg of jam sugar with pectin I think you need only 800g of fruit. So with 2.5kg sugar, 2kg fruit.

Quite possibly... unfortunately only had 2 new bags of jam sugar and half a bag left over from the last batch, and being a Sunday evening the supermarkets had all shut :-( The Strawbs were also very over ripe (which is why they were so cheap) so I don't think that would have helped!

3 allotments

• now is the time
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2014, 23:11 »
Hi theres this recipe one of val harrison's works very well,when i make it i use fresh lemon juice for pectin  ;) http://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/148/strawberry-jam-recipe/
diggity dig dig

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2014, 23:50 »
There is a question and answer from Val in the link given above
Sue Mealey @ 7:58 pm #

Help! I made strawberry jam yesterday with the recipe above. I have made it successfully in previous years but this year it won't set! I did put it in jars and put it in the fridge but no joy. Can I rescue it soemhow?

Thanks

Sue

Val @ 11:01 am #

Try tipping it out of the jars, re-heating and stirring in a sachet of powdered pectin (Silver Spoon). Don't forget to wash and re-sterilise the jars before you put the jam back in.

So I would add one & half sachets to the quantity you've made....... Good Luck!

chrissie B

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 16:30 »
if I carnt find pectin I put apple in seems to work for me , allways have some in the freezer .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

agapanthus

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 23:35 »
I use a lot less sugar......about 10oz to every 1lb of fruit but always add 1 lemon per pound of fruit and put all the pith and seeds from the lemons into a muslin bag and add to the mix. Never had any probs :)

Just a quick sp change, Aggy Hope you don't mind  :nowink:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 22:10 by sunshineband »

mjpalin

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2014, 21:36 »
2 weeks on, I finally got round to re-boiling the jam today. 1.5 sachets of pectin, and a generous amount of lemon juice later - we have "set" Thanks to everyone who helped :-)

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 16:00 »
I usually have some red currants or blackcurrants in the freezer so I usually put some of them into the mix as they contain pectin. I also add lemon juice or citric acid powder.

xx
Strawberry Jam!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 10:05
by mumofstig
xx
strawberry jam

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 12:48
by chrissie B
xx
Strawberry Jam Again - sorry!

Started by Elaine G on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 09:32
by Debz
xx
strawberry jam

Started by chrissie B on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2011, 08:02
by chrissie B

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 39 queries.