The Dog

• 7 Replies

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
The Dog
« on: June 20, 2011, 15:02 »
On our allotment site we are aloud to take dogs as long as they are controlled (so the rules say), there are one or two people that take there dogs over so as we would like to include our new dog in our past time we took him with us.
First visit we had him tethered to a pole and with a lead about 5 yards long, he sat down and of we went in to the greenhouse for 10 minuets but when we came out he was laying on next doors onion's, so we said we would not take him again.
I have had a brain wave, don't get many of them now, at the end of my allotment I have a small area for fruit tree's that is grassed over, if I put up a chain link fence with a picket gate I could put the dog in there and as I only spend an hour at a time he could see us and would not get bored.
The area measures about 5 yards by 6 yards.
Now tell me honestly, is this a good idea or not.
PS genuiely the dog is very good natured and fairly well trained, he is 7 years old but we have had him only 5 months.
PPS his name is Harley.
I'm lost without my SatNav.

jamima

Re: The Dog
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 15:47 »
Good idea to put him on there but could you just put a pole in the ground and a lenght of rope as not to go over the perimeter and put him on that...... :)

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 16:30 »
does he jump ? My dog would not be held by any fence under about 5 foot, and he would tunnel under anything higher. Chain and peg or chain and running line seems best or  chain and kennel.

brick22

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 17:14 »
Chain & running line or chain & kennel seem a great idea as a fence could easily be jumped. If you make the fence too high it might become an eyesore and people might complain.
As it was his first time, it might just be the excitement of all the new sights & smells. Take him for a lovely long walk before, that way he will be nice & relaxed, also a nice bone from the butchers should hold his attention, most butchers give them away free, get the raw ones with plenty of marrowbone inside.....you wont hear a peep for hours :D
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 18:22 »
He is a docile old thing as for jumping a fence, no, as long as it was fixed up good he would be OK with a 3 foot high fence, he's more like a bulldozer, clumsy, never seen him jump or dig, likes his walks, sleeps a lot, bit like his owner.
If it don't work I could turn it into a chicken run, maybe.
When we are caravaning he sits in the awning on a long line but only ventures out if we do or a tasty femal dog go's by.
I'm going to go for it but will have to save up some cash first.
Thanks for all the help.
Reg and Harley

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 19:06 »
We take our two dogs to the lotty and have made fenced off area where the shed is. Covered the ground with weed control fabric and put some bark on top. We can work away all day and the dogs can come with us. The beauty of it is, it also keeps the dogs off our veg. Our plot is fenced on all sides with chicken wire too though, as are our neighbour' s plots. That was there already as there was a big problem with rabbits.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 14:57 »
hello, i take my two dogs sometimes to my allotment, which is only over the road from where i live, and i have a steel thingy that screws into the ground onto which can be attached a chain, it is easily screwed in and out, and so quite portable. available in most big pet shops i would think.

RichardA

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 16:35 »
our dog loves to sit in the awning of the caravan on a long lead for about three minutes, then he loves to sit under the caravan, another three minutes, then he tries to go under and out and then he comes back - have you tried unravelling a long lead from a caravan steady and best yet getting grease out of a dog's fur ???? Lot longer than 3 minutes.
Glad yours is better behaved than that - good luck with the fence and the allotment
R

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.