Housetraining tips

• 27 Replies

Angus

• Skyechi
Re: Housetraining tips
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 12:13 »
As a breeder and exhibitor and judge of this breed for many years take it from me they are not hard to house train at all, they respond well to routine and once she is settled and learns to trust you and bonds with you then you will soon crack the problem.  The advise so far is all spot on..........NEVER rub a dogs nose in anything it is cruel and counter productive and it sound like this poor dog is better away from your friend.  Regular short walks also helps in the training and bonding process.  Also make sure she is immunised too if in doubt re do the jabs it won't hurt, Parvo Virus is prevalent in most areas of this country and it is a horrible disease along with all the other canine diseases out there.  Good luck!

janet12000

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 16:25 »
One mistake I made when I was house training our dog was cleaning any mess up with the wrong cleaning stuff. I was using dettol so the house didn't smell of dog wee, but apparently this makes them just want to re-mark their scent in the same spot.
I was advised to use a weak solution of bio washing powder which stopped her peeing over the same places again.

Angus

• Skyechi
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2009, 16:40 »
got it in one there Janet the bio breaks down the smell namely the salt crystals in the urine.

RIKJD89

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2009, 17:43 »
ye shes picked up the house training now with just a couple of accidents now and again so it does look like the previous owner just couldn be bothered with the dog!

Laverne88

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2009, 18:48 »
I usually say the w0rd 'wee's' when they d0 0ne 0utside (everytime) and, eventually, I can say it ind00rs and they all rush f0r the d00r t d0 it 0utside...... takes a little while but i've always taught my d0gs that way.

T0tally agree with d0g crates....... my 2 shih tzu's sleep in a massive 0ne under the stairs..... it's funny seeing them t0ddle 0ff when I ann0unce 'bedtime'.........
P080809_16.21[01].jpg
Stay Muddy x

janet12000

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2009, 19:16 »
lovely pic!

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 19:43 »
Everything about taking them outside regularly and praising them to perform is good.
One of mine is a escue who used to be beaten when he messed inside. He was left from 8 in the morning until quite late in the evening tied in the kitchen.
He has apoplexy when he gets loose and cannot make it to the door.
Does not happen often but when it does it is just cleaned up with a bit of Bio powder or soda in water and no fuss made. Doesnt half meky you feel queasy first thing in a morning though.

We trained the other dog, who was a puppy when we got her and she learned very quickly. She is a bright dog though and wants to please.

Frequesnt outside visits with wee as a command, always after waking and food. She now goes to the door and asks with a whine.

You will get there with yours I am sure.
What an idiot to rub a dogs nose in the mess. Obviously time will have passed. The only way to control behaviours in dogs are at the time they happen.
Some people have no idea at all. Makes me angry >:(
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

RIKJD89

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 12:40 »
It does grate on your nerves when yopu find out they have beat the dog for making a mistake when he cant be bothered to walk the poor animal so he had to put up with 10 minutes off my ranting at him when i payed for the dog in which he at least admitted he had underestimated how much is involved in owning a dog so at least he has learnt and wqont put another dog through what she went through anytime soon

Rubellite

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 15:37 »
Idiots. Then they wonder why the dog turns on them  :mad:

Gemma_25

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 15:58 »
Call it a crate!! Not a cage lol! Sounds so cruel!

Our Labrador puppy (3 months) is crate trained - we don't lock him in he just know's it's his space, and as previous posts have mentioned, they don't mess in their areas :-) We take Jack out every hour when we're at home, although he is learning to "hold it" now. It's just a lot of perseverence, and when they look like they're sniffing, straight into the garden til they've performed ;-)

I would never belong to a club that would have me as a member :-D

RIKJD89

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 20:11 »
well i went to pick up the cage off the previous owner and he said she did her business in the cage now cos he had trained to do this!! So i said well would you pi*s in the bed you sleep in?? So i left the cage behind out of principle it goes to show how eager the dog was to impress him and be loved that it slept next to its own waste for him.  :(

Parsnip

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 23:24 »
I bought a 'crate' from ebay for my dog for £11.00. It's not hugely sturdy, but it's only for the back of my car, cos my little fellow likes to jump over the seats and help me drive ::)

We bought the original crate when he was a pup for house training. It's sad that some people still  suggest pushing a dogs nose in it's poo :(  It teaches them nothing, it's as disgusting to them as it is to us...  :mad: :wacko:

I assume this friend, is no longer  friend... ;)

He's not a breeder is he?

Sound's like you are doing great with her :)

RIKJD89

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 21:40 »
well hes still a friend but under condition he dosnt get another dog as iv known him all my life and thankfully no he isn a breeder as i would have been ringin the rspca on him

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 38 queries.