Ripening sweet peppers

• 19 Replies

AnneB

Ripening sweet peppers
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:03 »
This year I have 3 sweet pepper plants in the greenhouse.  Indired (a red bell pepper) and Marconi Rosso and Marconi Giallo.

All 3 have grown well, are healthy and covered in good sized fruit.  None of which want to ripen it seems.

I suspect this is down to temperatures now dropping a bit.  Any suggestions on how I can encourage ripening?

Growster...

Re: Ripening sweet peppers
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 15:19 »
I think it may well be down to light, Anne.

We have six different peppers growing in our GH, and just today, I chucked the toms, which were darkening the peps, and some are only just flowering - Thai Dragon (hot beast apparently)...

Some are away and producing, like Cayenne, and a capsicum type, but the light was reduced by just a few bare-looking toms, so they're picked and back in the house, and the plants happily composting!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 15:53 »
Mine are all the same Anne  >:(

Maybe we need to reconcile ourselves to green peppers this year  :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 17:26 »
Mine are all the same Anne  >:(

Maybe we need to reconcile ourselves to green peppers this year  :(
Mine too.  Very reluctant to ripen.

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 18:15 »
this topic is very interesting because we also  have sweet peppers growing that are still green and we hoped they would turn yellow given time as this is  a new venture for us I'm not sure if and when this mite happen  :unsure:

JacsH

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:32 »
I seem to be at odds with everyone else - our peppers, sweet and chilli, have done extraordinarily well this year (until a couple of days ago when the mice have returned (3 degrees Sat/Sun night clearly drove them in to a banquet)) and, a first, have been ripening beautifully. In soil in the poly tunnel, seed sown 3 March under heat in the conservatory and grown on in there until planting in tunnel in mid May. Lipstick, Midas, Amanda, Red Candy Cane for sweet, Lemon Aji, Apache, Cheyenne, Firebell and Early Jalapeno for chilli. Picked 800g of Lemon Aji the other day - drying some and making a lot of chilli sauce. There's about a kilo more!!! They and Hungarian Hot Wax have also started a second flowering fruiting, about three weeks ago. We have sufficient chillies for about 5 years  :)
IMG_2806.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2021, 18:43 »
i sow peppers earlier and earlier each year, hoping they may ripen in time :(...i sowed in february and i currently have 20 very green (but beautiful) peppers :nowink:....i was hoping our warm spell this week may help them along, but not holding my breath on that :ohmy:

cc

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2021, 14:17 »
Nothing in my garden room (double glazed and insulated roof) good sunlight as at the top of a hill. 2 died from fungal infection, the 3rd one looks like it may produce a few. Conservatory (faces west) plenty. Only short plants (3) I expect to be picking a few all the way to January maybe even February. No idea why they do far better in the conservatory. Through the winter I can understand as there is heat escaping from the house but they produce very early. Maybe June definitely by July.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2021, 18:45 »
At long last, some ripening is taking place.  Hope they hurry up.
20210927_180200-s.jpg
20210927_180148-s.jpg

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2021, 19:15 »
I keep giving our Cayennes a hard stare, but don't get much of a response, even as of today...

:0(

Still wondering if they might ripen if I picked them, then popped them in the drawer where we're ripening the last green toms...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 19:16 by Growster... »

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 17:54 »
i was hoping this warm spell would ripen them, but i think i am going to have to resign myself to only green bell peppers :mad:....at least they look decent though :nowink:

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2021, 17:59 »
I had to move our peppers yesterday, as we need the space to put over-wintering fuscias etc, and one of the green cayenne peps dropped off, so I brought it in...

Actually, it's not half bad while still green, so while I still wait for the Thai Dragon to do anything (gave them a quick touch-up with a paint brush yesterday), I hope we'll get to the stage that the Apache are now, and some of the others!

Not a good year I'm afraid!

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2021, 22:28 »
Mine are slowly turning.  I saw a tweet from Bob Flowerdew that said once the peppers start to turn colour you can bring them into the warm to finish ripening. 

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 15:39 »
Planted this one in late April, kept in greenhouse, thought it would be too late. Went red about a week ago, but only four fruits. This is my first attempt, how many do you get on average normally? Variety is Robertina.
red peppers.jpg

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2021, 18:51 »
That's not bad.  I have heard of people spraying flowers to help with the pollination; if your plants are in a greenhouse, make sure that insects can get in to pollinate, or do it yourself

xx
Sweet peppers almost red/yellow how to hasten ripening

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 20:22
by lottielearner
xx
Peppers ripening when still small

Started by isis on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 14:29
by oldcow
xx
Ripening Bullhorn peppers problem.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 24, 2018, 12:46
by Goosegirl
xx
sweet peppers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 20, 2021, 21:00
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.386 seconds with 54 queries.