Raspberries too late?

• 4 Replies

bigben

Raspberries too late?
« on: May 13, 2010, 09:28 »
I was given a pack of 10 raspberry canes by a friend a couple of weeks ago, I dont know the name of them. I think he had bought more than he had room for and had them standing around for a while before he passed them on to me. It then took me a week to get round to planting them. All but one of them is completely bare and look like dead dry sticks. I have planted them thinking nothing lost if they are dead. How long before I should see some growth and am I likely to see any fruit this year?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Raspberries too late?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 09:37 »
I wouldn't think they will grow much at all till it warms up a bit, they should be growing roots first :) When/if ? it does warm up remember to keep them watered though.

You may get a small crop if they are autumn fruiting types.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:42 »
As long as they are bare sticks, not sticks with shriveled leaves, you still have a chance, but they should really be showing growth by now, so they may have dried out too much. They like damp soil so keep them well watered. Crossing my fingers for you. I love raspbs. :)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

bigben

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 14:57 »
As long as they are bare sticks, not sticks with shriveled leaves, you still have a chance, but they should really be showing growth by now, so they may have dried out too much. They like damp soil so keep them well watered. Crossing my fingers for you. I love raspbs. :)
They are bare sticks and were when planted. I dont know how long my friend had them in the packet so they may have been dry for a couple of weeks. They have been in the ground for a week now and the weather has been cold so I am hoping they are going to recover - we will see.

woodburner

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 15:26 »
They may well shoot from the roots, so keep a watch at ground level. That does take a bit longer than breaking bud. :)

xx
Raspberries - how late can I plant them?

Started by allotmentgemma on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 23:38
by gobs
xx
Summer Raspberries - Too Late?

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2018, 14:28
by braders1234
xx
Raspberries and strawberries - too late to plant?

Started by mike86 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 23:48
by gavinjconway
xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 39 queries.