Chicken poo for runner bean trench?

• 4 Replies

Mum2mj

Chicken poo for runner bean trench?
« on: March 02, 2014, 18:09 »
Hi I have a sack full of partially decomposed chicken poo, wood chip & easibed. Could I use this at the bottom of a runner bean trench (in the next couple of weeks) or will it be too fresh still by the time the runners are planted? Or is chicken poo the wrong fertiliser for beans anyway?
Thanks  :D

Hampshire Hog

Re: Chicken poo for runner bean trench?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 21:55 »
Nothing wrong with rotted chicken poo. I would get it in the ground ASAP and hope that the weather prevents it being too hot by the time you plant the runners or sow seeds. Perhaps best to raise plants in pots/trays and then plant out thus allowing more time for poo to cool off.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Mum2mj

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 12:36 »
Thanks, silly question - was going to put in kitchen waste too - do I fill the trench in straight away or can I keep adding to it? Or is it unnecessary to use both?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 13:40 »
It's getting a bit late now to start a bean trench, then keep adding uncomposted material, and expect it all to have rotted down by, say, early June.

The main purpose of creating a bean trench (apart from being a handy way of disposing of useful materials when your compost bins are full  ::)) is to retain moisture in the soil rather than provide a lot of nutrients.

I'm not sure that the wood chip content of your chicken manure would rot down quickly enough either - I suggest you add whatever vegetable material you have now (shredded if possible) plus a small amount of your chicken manure, then cover it all up, leaving the soil mounded to allow for the inevitable sinking.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 14:14 »
Mine doesn't get covered until the beans are almost ready to go in, I'm still leaving bags of veg peelings on the plot to add when I have more time  ;)
You can also add wodges of newspaper as long as they're wetted first.

I don't think it matters if the stuff hasn't rotted down in time - but agree it's not a good idea to use much unrotted chicken manure/wood chip.....save it for later in the year.

question
Runner bean trench

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 19:38
by sunshineband
xx
Runner/climbing French beans and a bean trench

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2010, 15:46
by rhysdad
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice
xx
Bean Trench

Started by greetwellboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 03, 2016, 06:20
by greetwellboy

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 40 queries.