Should I be worried???

• 4 Replies

mo-jo

Should I be worried???
« on: September 03, 2010, 06:34 »
I've got 4 chickens and they are about 21 weeks old.  I had my first egg yesterday from Delia the bluebelle.  I know she did it as she  is the one showing all the signs, red comb, squatting etc.  But i did notice last night that she seems to have lost her voice.  She is eating and drinking as normal, she was the first out this morning and they have all been wormed about 3 weeks ago.  I also found a softie in the coop this morning when I was cleaning out which I think may be hers but that means she laid twice yesterday so not sure if that is normal.

Can anyone tell me if she sounds ok, why she may have lost her voice and is 2 eggs in one day normal ????

Thanks

Jeanette

Re: Should I be worried???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19 »
It takes 25 hours for a egg to be layed so in time it is possible that they will lay twice in a day as we have 24 hours to the day so the extra hour that they need to process an egg adds up. Hope that makes some sence to you.
About her voice have you looked in her mouth to see if any thing is stuck and her throat is clear ? Is she still eating and drinking?. Has she got a temperture feel under her wing then feel under another girls wing to see if is is as warm.
Someone else is sure to come along soon and have some ideas. Good luck.

mo-jo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 11:55 »
She is eating, drinking and pooing fine.  I did try to see if I could see anything stuck in her throat and couldn't see a thing.  I will try to check her temp when I get home.
Thanks

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 14:59 »
She may just be getting over the shock of starting to lay.  I know when my chooks came into lay some of them were a bit hit and miss with the normal shelled eggs - I'd get a regular egg, then perhaps a softie for a day or two.  I did find that passing a softie took it out of the girl in question and she was a bit subdued and quiet - it could well be that. 

The two eggs in one day may be where she's had a bit of a "back up" in her egg production line.  Hopefully all this will sort out in the next few weeks as she gets into the swing of things.

Having said all that, I would keep an eye on her and if you have any major concerns take her to a poultry friendly vet.
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

kazzii2010

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 16:16 »
i have 2 hens that have been laying 2 eggs a day for a week with same problems but was told this maybe because it is a sbhocked to their system ny hens are ok so hope your hens are ok now, ::)

xx
Ok, i am really worried now!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 13:46
by bedifferent
xx
really worried and don't know what to do for the best

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 09, 2010, 18:49
by rachelr
xx
should i be worried??????

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 10, 2011, 20:27
by dawnie77
xx
Getting worried now

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 13:14
by Evansent

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 35 queries.