Where is all this bindweed coming from?

• 23 Replies

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
Where is all this bindweed coming from?
« on: November 29, 2012, 08:14 »
So, 4 weeks ago I had plenty of empty space so I decided to go on a mission to eradicate the bindweed.  I spent a good few hours thoroughly digging out every bit of root, and filled a full wheelbarrow, feeling very pleased with myself. 

I thought I was sure to have missed a few bits so I decided to have another go the week after, to make sure I would get every little bit.  So imagine my surprise when I filled yet another wheelbarrow a week later!

... and another one a week later.

Where is it all coming from? Are the worms bringing up bits from lower down perhaps, or it really regenerating from microscopic bits left behind?
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

BabbyAnn

Re: Where is all this bindweed coming from?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 08:28 »
 :lol: even though I dig over and clear a bed in autumn, I give it another dig over in spring and I often wonder how on earth I managed to miss big clumps of root in the earlier clearing

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 08:39 »
Bindweed happens.  8)
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 08:54 »
Glysphosphate is the best thing for bindweed. I don't like using weed killer, but I make an exception for bindweed. Digging only ever seems to make things worse. Only the tiniest bit needs to be left in for it to come back.

Some people even advocate letting it grow to a size where it can be dipped into a bucket of weed killer.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:40 »
Hmmm, bindweed has a sneaky way of waiting until your crops are already planted and growing before making an appearance, often making it difficult to treat or dig out  ;)  But yes, I would say I have been successful with glyphosate when there has been opportunity to use it.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45 »
It is sent by the DEVIL, hence the old name of Devil's guts. >:(

Glypgosate works but it still creeps back when your back is turned. >:( :mad:

If it gets into established plant I unravel it carefully, put a large drinks bootle that I have cut off the top and bottom to make a tall collar over the unravelled weed. Let it grow inside the bottle for a few days then spray glyphosate into the bottle. That way the plants are safe.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 13:53 »

If it gets into established plant I unravel it carefully, put a large drinks bootle that I have cut off the top and bottom to make a tall collar over the unravelled weed. Let it grow inside the bottle for a few days then spray glyphosate into the bottle. That way the plants are safe.

That's a good idea, I might try that!
Anne

noshed

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 15:31 »
Another method I tried this year was to put some canes in eg around my rhubarb where I couldn't get at it. Leave it a week or two to grow up the cane and then glyphosate it there. It helps to keep it down but I don't think you could ever completely eradicate it.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

allotmentann

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 17:35 »
I have managed to successfully eradicate it by digging and then regular and consistent weeding. I do clear the plot almost obsessively though when I clear a new space. I fork it repeatedly until I think it is all gone, over and over again on the same few inches of soil and never move to the next few inches until I have got the fork out at least three times in succession with no root at all, if I find more root I start again. It is amazing how often you can think it is clear only to find if you keep digging more root comes out. Then I leave the bed bare for a couple of months, so that if I missed the odd bit, it can show itself and I pull it out straight away. It comes out easily, as it will be growing from a minute piece of root. The only place that I still get it, is around the very edges of my plot where it comes through from the neighbouring plots - I can't dig their roots out! (I am using the same method pretty successfully on the ground elder at home too). I really do believe that you can get rid of these weeds without resorting to weed killer if you are prepared to take your time and be thorough. I realise some people have neither the time nor the energy to do what is needed, but if you don't want to use weed killers it can be done. :)

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 17:48 »
That's the worst part about bindweed, the roots are so long, curled and brittle that it's impossible to manually remove every last bit. It shatters on touch and so curled up below that you could never trace it back to the very end.

Glyphosate is the only cure. I tear off most of the top and leave a short stump on top which I immediately spray and keeping on top of it weekly has kept mine down to a minimum quantity this past year. I have noticeably less this year than in past years and will continue my vigilance.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 19:02 »
Bindweed - I have had my allotment for two years and have worked hard to dig out all the bindweed. My struggle is that I have tried to double dig some of my raised beds ( I have about 20)  and the underlying sub soil is clay / skerries of siltstone - unbelievably the bindweed roots go through the solid clay at about 1 1/2 spades depth and I have found it impossible to remove all the roots without snapping them - hence they will return I think?- perseverance is the key  - this is something I have to accept I will never eradicate for good. Like a lot of things with the allotment - hard work = better veg. Digging keeps you fit. I don't like spraying ... but a bit of glysophate is tempting.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 06:55 »
You have to keep on top of it. If you use weedkiller, mix the weedkiller with wall paper paste (so that the paste looks "normal"). Keep in a sealed jar, apply paste to leaves of plant (you dont have to do them all) and the weedkiller is absorbed by the leaves. The paste makes sure that the weedkiller doesnt run off, it sticks to the leaves and helps make sure that it is absorbed. Works really well - especially in places where you cant dig or spray. Hope this helps - good luck!!

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:56 »
*sigh*  Oh well, it looks like the only way to go is to invest in industrial quantities of glyphosate then.  I was hoping that digging over the same area on a weekly basis would eridacate it, but it is still coming out in huge quantities, and what boldondig said makes sense - it is obviously rooted to a depth deeper than I can dig.

I have been spraying any bits that don't come out easily with a spade already this year, as I know that if dig too hard and the roots snap I'm just creating another job for later on.

Never heard of mixing it with wallpaper paste before CDave, I'm going to give that one a try.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 08:36 »
Dave did not make it clear that you apply it with a paint brush. It is not on the label so strictly speaking you are not allowed to do it.

Monsanto did market a Roundup gel with a paintbrush to apply it. That went off the market. I think there is now a similar product available but I do not know its name.

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 08:50 »
Roundup launched a new one for this year I think. It was in lots of garden centres etc,but it was expensive.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
bindweed

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 09:40
by Kristen
xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm
xx
Bindweed - help!

Started by Nosher on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:41
by Trillium
xx
Bindweed

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 21:36
by pedro

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.