Inconsistent Laying Young Chickens ?

• 8 Replies

NooNoosdad

Inconsistent Laying Young Chickens ?
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:39 »
Hello. Approximately 1 month ago I started keeping Chickens and purchased three Black Rock Hens from a reputable breeder in Cheshire, U.K. All three were sold as 15 weeks old. To begin with, one Chicken appeared to be slightly older and started laying straight away, followed by another Chicken starting to lay at approx. 18 weeks old.
My question is in relation to my third Chicken who first started laying a week ago which would make her approx. 19 weeks old. Her first egg was of good size, perfectly shaped/formed and with a Yoke etc. However, since then, she has only laid on two more occasions. Is it normal for some Chickens/Hens, when they reach 'Point of Lay', to be a little inconsistent for a while i.e. not laying every day. My other two birds are regular as clockwork and have laid every day without any problems. Just to add, all appear more than happy and are kept in a Coop big enough for 6 x Birds and have a 9' foot run with access to fresh grass. All are let out to roam the garden once a day. I feed them approx. 300gms of half Layers Pellets half Mixed Corn in the morning and approx. 100gms of Mixed corn scattered in the run in the afternoon. I also give fresh water twice a day.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 09:49 by NooNoosdad »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Inconsisten Laying Young Chickens ?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:41 »
don't worry she will get the hang of things - black rocks are lovely birds and have been known to still lay the odd egg at the age of 8  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

themagicaltoad1

Re: Inconsistent Laying Young Chickens ?
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 12:05 »
Just give them layers pellets and keep the treats such as a handful of corn or some meal worms for the evening. They should have access to the pellets all day as they are grazers. She may take some time to get into a pattern of laying, or maybe she just likes to surprise you now and then :D

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 18:08 »
Hiya,
I have had my POL hens since beginning of May and they have only just started to lay consistently for the past 10days.
Jane

Laydies

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 20:58 »
Hi,
I have a Rhode Rock - and she was POL in March - however, she only lays very occasionally - and has the same access to layers pellets as the other two chuckle sisters who lay every day....  she's bright and healthy otherwise and doesn't appear to have any problems at all - just quite small eggs perhaps about 1 per week.. 

NooNoosdad

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 07:30 »
Hi Folks and Thank You very much for your replies and advice

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 08:52 »
It just means that she will lay for longer as she won't have used up all her eggs :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

NooNoosdad

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2010, 10:42 »
 :) Great News -  'Chicken-Licken', our 'Inconstent Layer' has after 4 or 5 days of inactivity has this morning produced one ' Whopper ' of an Egg - She must have been saving this one up or perhaps the recent warm weather had affected her laying activities. Today is much cooler with a breeze and perhaps more comfortable for my feathered buddies :) 

NooNoosdad

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 12:04 »
 :) Yesterday, our two regular layers failed to produce any eggs but today all Three are now laying. Maybe the Hot Weather had something to do with it.

xx
Young hen laying two soft shelled eggs overnight

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 08, 2016, 14:17
by ghost61
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
young chickens going outside?

Started by mumbley joe on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 06, 2016, 22:31
by mumbley joe
xx
my young chickens have started to lay in the run.

Started by wayne*goodman on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 12, 2011, 20:58
by evie2

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 39 queries.