glass or plastic?

• 6 Replies

chris1976

glass or plastic?
« on: March 12, 2006, 17:21 »
just got my allotment at the end of feb and just wanted some advice on building a greenhouse. What is better glass or plastic as money is an issue
thanks Chris1976 :?:
just started this febuary. So its all hit and miss at te moment. May need help, tips and hints at time so any would be welcome

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
glass or plastic?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 23:39 »
Glass is good and there are many 2nd hand houses going cheap or even free. If the kids throw stones though....
I spent 150 building a wood and twinwall polycarb on the back of the office at home only to find a similar sized glass one in the local rag for 30 pounds.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

oggy

glass or plastic?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 18:08 »
Hi Chris 1976.

I made one out of 2x2 timber apx ( or what I could Get ) made them into 4 squares basicly ,with one side higher than the other, to form a sloping roof, wraped these with shink wrap, spent £13 on clear corrigated plastic for the roof,and bolted it together ( don't forget to put a door in ) It worked well, and was "double glaised". Easy to repair !

OGGY

mellowmick

• Experienced Member
glass or plastic?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 15:41 »
On cost, use plastic (polycarbonate) only if you can scrounge it or get it second hand (eg old bus shelters). I was lucky because my work (museum) is being refurbished, so loads of polycarbonate, clear plastic etc from old display cases. I'm right next to a public footpath through our allotments, so probably wouldn't consider glass myself. Don't drive, so problems getting new materials up if anything did get broken. Tried to make it all as indestructible as possible first time round.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
glass or plastic?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 19:39 »
keep a look out on ebay - use the advanced search to put in a distance from your postcode and just watch and see.
I did just that and got a fabulous greenhouse 8 x 6 with staging and an automatic vent all for £80.
I dont think I could have built anything for cheaper than that.
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

milkman

glass or plastic?
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:22 »
My plots border the edge of the allotment site with public footpath along the entire length so I have used polycarbonate for the roof and side nearest the path and glass for the remainder.  Purchased the polycarb from Formerton Sheet Sales in Southampton (they deliver) - 6mm Lexan Clear Twinwall.  If you send them a Blue Peter diagram with all the dimensions for the panels they laser cut to size.  Fortunately no stones have been lobbed at my greenhouses yet...but I am friendly with the retired folk living the other side of the footpath who keep a very beady eye out for any/all goings on!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

stompy

glass or plastic?
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 12:31 »
Just put an add in your local paper, a guy on our site did £8 and he was offered over10 greenhouses for free if he dismantled them.

That was about 2 years ago, he said he got all of them and gave the ones he didn't want to other plot holders for a fiver each to cover his petrol and time.

Its cheap and maybe worth a go. :D

xx
Greenhouse glass

Started by Fluff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 17:04
by si-mate
xx
glass or polycarbonate?

Started by sonnycbr on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 23:28
by sonnycbr
wireless
greenhouse no glass

Started by compoQ on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 19:29
by compoQ
xx
greenhouse glass

Started by AK9 on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2014, 20:58
by jezza

Page created in 0.16 seconds with 39 queries.