Conifer Hedge Turned Brown but Still Growing - What Next

• 1 Replies

nwalch

• Experienced Member
Over the last year or so my conifer hedge (around 60 ft by 10 foot high) has started to die and turn brown (could be the bad winters or maybe the conifer aphid). I’ve started to cut down the dead ones but some bits are still growing and you have a mixture of alive and dead conifer! The hedge has always been a good couple of foot too tall to manage so do you think its worth cutting the hedge a couple of foot lower in the sections which are still mostly green in the hope it will grow back or should I give it up as a lost cause and cut it all down and replant (a big job).

I know most people will say get rid of the conifers but it was a nice hedge and did a good job of blocking the noise and pollution from the road behind (and doesn’t bother any neighbours as it backs onto a main road.

If I did rip down and replan what would people recommend. The requirements are fairly fast grower to 8 foot or so, evergreen and not privet (always hated it). I want to be able to train it into a formal hedge again.

Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

xx
Cutting Back a Conifer Hedge

Started by Hobnails on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 08, 2011, 14:48
by Hobnails
xx
Suggest a Plant for in front of conifer hedge

Started by nwalch on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 16, 2011, 16:12
by Goosegirl
xx
Given Conifer? 2 year ago,now going brown and ideas please!

Started by Missie on General Gardening

20 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 20:57
by penance
smiley
Conifer Chippings

Started by iggyboy60 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2011, 16:59
by iggyboy60

Page created in 0.206 seconds with 38 queries.