Rats Under Me Shed

• 13 Replies

BlueThumb

Rats Under Me Shed
« on: January 19, 2021, 11:49 »
Morning all
I started growing some Courgetts ,Toms and Cucumbers last year all in raised Beds, and did quite well.
However I have a Wooden Shed right by one of my raised bed's ,and Sunday i noticed i had Two Rats going out and back under my shed and running around the top of me garden and over one of the raised beds, so i got two rat snap traps and i got four of them yesterday. So to my question
I know there maybe/more of these rats, so was wondering if i should still go ahead (when the time is right of course) to start planting some fruit and veg  or should i leave it till i am sure i have eradicated my problem as i know i shall be making a food source for these pests.  What i don't want to do is start growing and find these pests are helping themselves plus it  could be be a health hazard  for me and my wife. As i write i have set more traps and will keep doing so for the next few months.
Any Help would be most welcome       regards  tony

mrs bouquet

Re: Rats Under Me Shed
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 13:44 »
It is horrible to think we have got rats, but I think they are fairly close to all of us.   I think it sounds as if you are taking very good methods of getting rid of them  and I can understand your concerns.
Will it be possible to find a product and a way to get it right underneath your shed in the future.  Good luck, Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

BlueThumb

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 14:06 »
Thank You for the reply    i have been doing my research  and i am going to go down the path of mixing some baking soda and flour with probably peanut butter into small ball's as this will give them gas to which they cannot get rid of and hopefully be their downfall.
Really my question was   (would it be wise to still plant fruit and or veg in the raised beds seeing how the rats have been over them from a health point of view, as well as contributing to their food supply if i don't manage to eradicate all  of them between now and  when its time to harvest my crops.)
regards  tony

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 15:52 »
Put some rodent mesh around the perimeter of the shed to deter them getting under there in future and wash your hands and crops well when you've been in the garden.  In the end there's lot's of rats about and even if you kill the ones you've seen there's likely to always be some around even if you don't see them.

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 19:12 »
This winter seems to be particularly bad. I have seen more activity this year than ever. keep trapping this will help reduce if not eradicate.

wighty

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 20:10 »
I think there's a saying that you are never more than six foot away from one.   PIL had them wandering around the garden two years ago but we found they were coming from next door which is a 'second home' and the owners hadn't been for a couple of years.  Once they came back (the owners) and the rats were disturbed they soon went elsewhere.

Debz

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2021, 09:21 »
We've got them at the allotment and I saw them a few times last year when I was down.  We had a few crops taken but I know that the squirrels were seen eating the broad beans so I think they were probably the bigger thief.

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 14:32 »
My OH put some wire netting with small holes around his shed but buried the bottom end down into the ground so they couldn't dig down.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

grinling

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 15:23 »
I assume this is at home. Keep setting the traps, but try to prevent birds from getting caught.
Snow will show their tracks, so easier to place traps. Wire under compost bins as easy food.
Plant as you should rid the rats before things are ready to pick.
If this at an allotment, also tell the management

BlueThumb

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 09:38 »
I would like to thank everyone who answered my post regarding my situation, as an update i think i have managed to nip the problem of rats under me shed, in the Bud
I went and got another 2 rat snap traps so four in all baited all of them, where the rats  were seen, managed to get four rats, so rebaited them and nothing and thats  been about 2 days after me first post 19 jan 2020, so around 3 weeks i also got rid of the water and bird food including the feeders and there has been no activity so i assume they must of packed their case's and moved on, The traps are still in place and baited just in case and i keep looking  and  with the recent snow fall saw there were no foot prints in the snow  so i assume it could be problem solved.
So i think i would like to close this post and say thank you once again for the reply's.
Regards  Tony

grinling

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2021, 15:25 »
that is good news. snow is a great help for who is on the move, I have hopping birds.

madcat

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 09:18 »
Have you got a supply of holly near you?  We had problems with rats under the shed one winter.  To stop it happening again we stuffed the area under the shed with holly prunings so the space was very inhospitable.  They have never been back.  We add more each year; the leaves dry and crumble but not the spikes - they are still vicious 5 years on.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 11:04 »
What a brilliant idea!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2021, 20:05 »
Rats are more dependent on water than food. If there are puddles around you are stumped but now it's going to be dry for several days remove all sources of water ( Saucers under pots, old car tyres and water for birds).
If you have a ditch nearby look for rat holes in the banks.

xx
rats

Started by ciderman on General Gardening

32 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 20:17
by Goldfinger
xx
Rats in compost

Started by SusieB on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post December 16, 2014, 15:14
by JayG
xx
Vermin (ie rats)

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2024, 22:14
by pepsi100
xx
best climber for a shed

Started by rowe1311 on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 21:55
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 52 queries.