best climber for a shed

• 3 Replies

rowe1311

best climber for a shed
« on: May 10, 2014, 21:22 »
I am wanting to put a climber on my daughter's playhouse.  It is small 6' by 5' and it is to grow on the south facing wall.  I don't want it to be too rampant or become too woody as it is only a small house.

I want all my plants in the garden to be either productive or good for wildlife, so I am looking for suggestions on what would be the best plant.  I was thinking of a clematis but I am not sure if they are great for the birds and the bees. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Angela

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: best climber for a shed
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 19:35 »
How old is your daughter?

As it's a playhouse, you need to ensure that the plant is safe for her to be around - so no prickly pyracantha  :ohmy:

There's a few ideas here and here.  Some honeysuckles aren't that invasive and have lovely scents while they last.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 19:36 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowe1311

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 21:29 »
Thank you for the links, they are very useful.  After much searching I have gone with a jasmine (clotted cream).  It has an rhs perfect of pollinators so that should be a good indicator. 

I do find it very confusing as to know what is good and what is not.  Some sites say a particular variety is good for bees, but the plants doesn't have an rhs stamp, and then others that do have a stamp are not mentioned on wildlife friendly garden sites.  For instance Clematis x jackmanii is mentioned on the bee keeping site as good for bees, but doesn't have the rhs stamp of approval. 

Anyway, I am happy with my choice, I just hope the bees like it too, and I don't kill it.   

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 21:55 »
Jasmine is a lovely plant  :D

xx
climber

Started by TINTIN on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 14:44
by unconcerned
xx
Climber for a big gap!

Started by wneva on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 15:22
by Goosegirl
xx
What climber?

Started by spencekelliem on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 13:04
by sion01
xx
Climber for archway

Started by rowe1311 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2012, 19:22
by fekq

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.