Joining the rest- what age is best?

• 4 Replies

maggiem

Joining the rest- what age is best?
« on: July 06, 2010, 08:09 »
We have a nearly 3week old chick and its mum which are separated by wire from the other 6 hens and the cockerel. They are in a small hen house by themselves at the moment. Mrs. Hen is desperate to join the others again but i'm worried they will attack the chick. At what age can i move them back in beside the others? Thanks, Maggie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Joining the rest- what age is best?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 08:17 »
I have never had a problem with integrating a broody with her young and they mix from a week old. The mums are very defensive and put up a good fight should any come too close. Neither of my cockerels have shown the slightest bit of interest until the chicks are about 6 weeks and then the only interest has been towards the mum as they decide they must be ready for treading again  :ohmy:  :lol:
Now I have guineas and the guinea fowl have a different idea - they think the mums should not be out with their chicks and try to tell them off but Dannii my little silkie cross has managed to even see them off - she is so feisty  :lol:.
However do keep an eye on things for a few hours as somebody on here had a different experience the other day and her cockerel went for the chicks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

maggiem

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 08:26 »
Thanks Joyfull. It's the first time we've had a mum and chick as well as having other birds. What i mean is the last time we had a hen and chicks we didn't have any others so there was no problem. I just wasn't sure what to do. Should i let the two of them into the big henhouse with the rest at night too? Maggie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 08:33 »
no keep her in the brooder for now - mum will decide when she wants to go back to the hen house herself and the chicks usually follow her. One of my broodies is a tree dweller and annoyingly her chicks followed her into the trees rather than a coup  ::)  :lol:

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46 »
My broody decided it was high time she was integrated back into the flock when her chick was a week old and escaped her pen.  She and her chick still sleep in their little coop, but they mix freely during the day.

Just recently the cockerel has been treading mum (who is soooo not impressed!) so I guess she must be getting ready to lay again.  The chick is 6 weeks old.

xx
Joining DEFRA?

Started by BestBreast on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 09:26
by L 11OBS
xx
Chicks joining the main flock

Started by The Oxtish on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 08:19
by kenny d
xx
joining wire weld mesh

Started by leebou on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 09, 2009, 19:38
by leebou
xx
Is my girl just having a rest? (Egg frequency)

Started by Wheelchair Gardener on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 12:25
by sminky

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 40 queries.