Non laying chickens

• 4 Replies

angeandjohn

Non laying chickens
« on: July 05, 2010, 18:31 »
Hi everyone: decided to start again with some new chooks, due to problems with non-laying/soft eggs. Kept 2 of our original batch, the favourites, most docile and good layers, and purchased a further 6 chooks a few weeks ago. According to the breeder, they were all about 20 weeks, and a couple had started laying. Within a week or so egg numbers had increased, virtually all of the new chooks were apparently laying. The numbers then began to decline, coincidentally with the onset of the hot/dry weather. All appear healthy, and eating well. I contacted the breeder, and he recommended keeping them on pellets only, as we had also been giving corn and greens. As we were getting runny poos, we wormed the chooks for a week - Flubenvet - but that hasn't made a difference to the laying, and we are still getting diarrhoea. All are still on pellets only, and still eating well. The most docile of the original hens is now the boss, quite amusing to watch considering that she was at the bottom of the pecking order originally, she chases the new ones if they get too close, especially where food is involved, but no serious altercations. I'm keeping in contact with the breeder, and he has advised keeping them all on pellets alone to get them back to laying ways, that's all they would have been on at the farm. We are getting the occasional egg from the new chooks, thought they may have decided to 'lay away' but thorough search of the run and garden area has  been without result! One of the new chooks is 'snuffly' but think that is because she likes rooting around, and gets her nostrils blocked with earth - clearing these out seems to sort the problem - the things we do for chickens!!

Anyone any further suggestions or advice, please?
angeandjohn

Casey76

Re: Non laying chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 18:37 »
The sudden hot weather will be a big part of the issue, as hot weather disinclines the hens to lay.

I wouldn't worry about the runny poo either - again it will (most probably!) be due to the hot weather, i.e. because of the weather the hens drink more and it is passed straight through the body as a cooling process, but will result in watery excreta.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 19:14 »
You aren't alone see

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60052.msg700247#msg700247

Can't comment on your problem but I suggest you let them settle in a little longer and if they don't pick up come back with a lot more info on nutrition, husbandry and environment as well as any history and breed info if you still need any help.

HF

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 00:47 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

angeandjohn

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 22:58 »
Good evening Casey76 and hillfooter. Thanks for your advice, will wait for a change in the weather, and let the new chooks settle in.

Best regards
John

zoggett

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:20 »
Hi there just to say my 2 suddenly stopped laying and it took 3 months for Madge to re-start after a few soft shells. Never had an egg off Mavis but just to say patience does pay off. good luck

xx
best chickens for laying

Started by paul veg on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 15:58
by SurreyLass
xx
New chickens not laying

Started by ordinarygull on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2012, 08:14
by Sassy
xx
why are my chickens not laying

Started by Rosie the clown on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 08:40
by ehs284
xx
No chickens Laying

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 15:07
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 40 queries.