Happy kids at the allotment

• 24 Replies

sanuka

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2008, 19:35 »
Thanks for all the great ideas. I'm trawling ebay atm for cheap garden toys. We may also need a shed - there is one at moment but very old and I think it leaks.

The chalking reminded me of a something the nursery does. They give them paint brushes and pots of water and get them to 'paint' the playground. Then when it dries they can do it all over!

I will give him his own area - but won't he just keep digging up all the seeds he plants? So he'll need two little areas - one for growing seeds and one for digging and mud play?

We have cress growing at home now and last year he absolutely love picking peas and strawberries from our garden - I'm looking forward to that bit assuming something grows this time!

gobs

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 22:31 »
Quote from: "sanuka"

I will give him his own area - but won't he just keep digging up all the seeds he plants?

Yes, he will. Don't forget, the point is that you get something done whilst he does that in his own space, where he can. :wink:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Noah'strolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 18:58 »
I buy myself some time by going at lunchtime and giving my 4 year old a picnic and eating later. My 7 year old sits in the car (which is just next to our plot) with the radio, his psp and a stash of snacks!
My 4 year old has his own wheel barrow and enjoys "helping" in his own way. He likes picking things but not always the ones you want picking, pruning (with a pair of kids scissors) but sprouts don't usually need much pruning and looking after his friends the worms but you wouldn't want to be his friend if you were a worm!

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 18:44 »
Dig a big hole and bury them up to their necks and leave them with a straw and some cherryade......
Oh and remember to pick them up when you've finished. :D
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

sanuka

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2008, 20:15 »
Well today was great, we stayed down there for 5 hours ! We got a little toddler slide from freecycle and he likes to play on it, run cars down it etc.

I think the regular tip was spot on - he even enjoyed running round and round the paths for ages today and chatting to the other people who were around.

Oh and he loves planting seeds. He helped me do some broad beans and peas today :)

I hope it continues !!

digs

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 21:27 »
My kids are 3 and 5. And we do have a lot of moaning but I am reassured that they'll look back fondly on their days at the allotment. !!!1 :lol:
So far the best entertainment for me has been another kid down there. He was older but they loved it, messing about, exploring, upto no good but it was fab for me as I could get on doing some bits.

However, we have also done a bird scarer (made out of string and old cd's), a scarecrow (totally useless but looks good). I am coming around to the belief that kids need to be able to entertain themselves (with a bit of guidance)

retrorose

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2008, 21:32 »
A bucket of plain water and a paintbrush, and let him 'paint ' the shed or fence.
Just starting to grow veg this year in four raised beds at home.

peterjf

kids
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2008, 21:49 »
NAIL THE OTHER FOOT TO THE FLOOR LOL ,
seriously , a child that age cant be humoured on an allotment ,a little too young , all the dangers on a plot , the greenhouse, broken glass , sharp stakes etc etc , but its your choice at the end of the day ,

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Re: Happy kids at the allotment
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2008, 22:59 »
Quote from: "sanuka"

He's only two but he can dig for ages ...
quote]

Now you have broken the boredom what about hiring him out?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

sanuka

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2008, 23:09 »
:lol: I was hoping to hire him out for snail collecting with his bucket. thing is he'll probably want to bring them home :)

xx
happy national allotment week!

Started by mrsparsnip on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 16, 2006, 21:32
by Laura
xx
kids and greens

Started by finleyfreyaseth on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 25, 2013, 11:30
by BobE
xx
AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!! KIDS!

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2007, 22:53
by Annie
xx
a plot for kids

Started by bedrockdave on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 31, 2008, 22:47
by gobs

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 32 queries.