kids and greens

• 11 Replies

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
kids and greens
« on: July 22, 2013, 18:18 »
my kids aren't bad eaters my eldest will eat anything middle one will not touch greens youngest no chance,now this year our second year having lottment last year was wash out but this year so far ive had some broccoli beans peas and brassicas and because weve grown them on OUR allotment they munch the lot :D

BobE

Re: kids and greens
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 18:20 »
Great result.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 18:52 »
top result  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 19:04 »
Well done to you & your children :happy:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 19:05 »
A familiar story to me too :)

Just try stopping our two girls from eating our strawberries. And not a single pea pod ever makes it into the house. They have even got a taste for lettuce as long as it's planted by them (well, it's mizuna actually, but it is the only green salad leaf that they munch on happily)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 20:38 »
We have always told florence 2 years old, that we grew it and she seems far keener to try new bits.

She has had brocolli from fellow plot holder and either calls it Tony's or colin's trees ( the plot holders who gave it to us)

Yesterday she named french beans as stick man and ate far more than usual.   :lol: its nice knowing where its been grown and how.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 20:45 »
I pick punnet of strawberrys and raspberrys and if kids we me they never see home,my eldest regulary picks lettuce and munches it and my daughter picks the small cukes and munches them lolol,best one was we the chillis my son said I love piclin and eatin stuff im gonna ave a chilli  :)well you can imagine the rest lolol :lol:

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 22:05 »
I have also found having an allotment has had a positive effect on my four and five year old children's diet.  Both the children are developing a healthy attitude to food and food waste. 

The other day, I overheard my five year old scolding a friend of hers "did you know, a little fish died to give you your dinner, you can't not eat it!"  Clearly, she has been listening...  ;)
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 08:20 »
Sometimes giving the veg magic properties helps as in runner beans are known as fighting up beans since our children were small,Dad told them they needed to eat them so they could fight with him after tea in the regular horse play that took place before bathtime :lol: Then french beans became known as squeaky beans as they squeak when bitten- if cooked how I like them :lol: They wanted to have more squeaks,so more beans.

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 10:11 »
Sometimes giving the veg magic properties helps as in runner beans are known as fighting up beans since our children were small,Dad told them they needed to eat them so they could fight with him after tea in the regular horse play that took place before bathtime :lol: Then french beans became known as squeaky beans as they squeak when bitten- if cooked how I like them :lol: They wanted to have more squeaks,so more beans.

Ahh, we also have squeaky beans in our house!

We also encourage the children by saying that eating their vegetables gives them sparkly eyes.  Then of course when they eat them they want to know if their eyes are sparkly and you wax lyrical about how fabulously sparkly their eyes are - it seems to work  ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 10:23 »
Sure is the pure magic of having children :happy:

BobE

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30 »
There is nothing like the pure innocence of children.
Near me the put in a plastic pool, the shreaks were wonderful to hear.

xx
Greens

Started by PAH48 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 16, 2009, 12:54
by Elcie
xx
warrigal greens

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 28, 2007, 11:47
by DellDGM
xx
Spring greens

Started by seaside on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 19:35
by seaside
xx
what are winter greens?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 18, 2012, 09:50
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 33 queries.