Pet names for famous dishes...

• 4 Replies

Growster...

Pet names for famous dishes...
« on: November 17, 2017, 21:38 »
Mrs Growster built one of her famous Shepherd's Pies today, and as usual, it was up there with the Gods...

But it has another name...

'Aunt Ethel's Shepherd's Pie'!

Why, you scream?

Well, in our favourite series of all the funniest programmes we've ever, ever watched, 'Turtle's Progress', (we're starting yet again), Inspector Rafferty is sitting in the pub, and his Sergeant comes in and asks him what he's eating. Rafferty replies with the imortal line, 'It's Aunt Ethel's shepherds pie, and I'm still wondering if the shepherd died from natural causes...'!

Now, out of context, this doesn't seem all that funny, but believe me, it fits the scene so well, as well as making the whole story line of the episode so much funnier, we've promoted it to the 'Growster Hall of Fame for Funny Programmes'! Aunt Ethel was very, very good in her part, and stayed in the series from start to finish!

So here's to you, Aunt Ethel, you've made our day!

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Re: Pet names for famous dishes...
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 07:53 »
In our house, cheese and potato pie was known as Sybil's Success as she introduced us to the refinements of a layer of onion, tomato, peppers, mushrooms, bacon and hard boiled egg I the middle.

We have further adjusted it into individual pies where each diner selects their own mixture from bowls of available fillings and decorates the top so they can recognise it, before it goes into the oven (solves the problem of vegetarians, those who can't eat onions or don't like mushrooms!)
ManicMum

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 09:15 »
Dumpling pie was named by our young son some years ago which for us is usually a minced beef & onion base with dumpling mix rolled out & placed on top.
We also still eat valina icepeam because of him(vanilla ice cream for the uninitiated lol)
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 16:46 »
Elastic Band Pudding was so christened by our daughter when she was about four years old: it is a traditional milk pudding made with fine vermicelli called semian, and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom, but the little bits of semian do look like  small pieces of elastic bands for sure!!

Completely confused her teacher, especially when she also said we had rice and bones as part of the main course ie pullao  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 10:20 »
Toe nail pie. Is treacle tart
Lettuced
Trash   Cheap hash

Off the top of my head

xx
Famous people look-alikes.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2018, 23:09
by Yorkie
xx
Peoples funny names

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post December 29, 2020, 13:42
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 38 queries.