Ain't wildlife wonderful!

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

Ain't wildlife wonderful!
« on: May 04, 2019, 13:40 »
For some reason this year we've seen a lot more wildlife in and around our garden and field. Our goose has decided to sit tight on her nest inside her shelter so we may have some goslings coming, there's an old bath that's on a slant with a continuous dribble of water going over the side into the goose pool which comprises of a big green round plastic tub we got from a farmer that a duck and drake have taken a liking to, a resident pheasant, seen a barn owl flying around our field, various birds have taken residence in our old sheep shelter, ladybirds a-plenty, and noises offside from buzzards, skylarks, chiff-chaffs, and several other birds that I wish I could recognise from their songs. We must be doing the right thing but I don't know why, apart from still filling bird-feeders for the little new ones and not being too fussed if things out there look a bit untidy with bits of old wood etc lying around. Now we've got some new Welsomer hens and a cockerel so there's lovely brown eggs every day, and maybe some little chickens might make an appearance in the near future. All's well in our wild world.  ;)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Re: Ain't wildlife wonderful!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 17:24 »
   Not being too tidy and feeding things is the answer. I feel my garden is like a warm protective blanket that calms me down . . .  before I leave the cocoon to go and face the madness at work. Just thinking of my oasis helps to relax me.  :) :wub:

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2019, 14:18 »
Ruby. That so reminds me when I'd come home from a harassing day. I'd sit on a fold-up chair in my greenhouse with a glass or two of wine and feel so blessed to have somewhere I can be just myself.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 21:09 »
Funny you mention all this Goosey, because about now, I usually hoe the gravel drive to tidy up, but the wild flowers growing there, plus all the other bright green leaves just glow, and we rather like to see them all pushing their way through. The lilac overhanging the whole lot just sets it all off, and the lovely little leaves of the early Albertine make you want to grasp each second...

The other day, I had to go to a chum's house, and I'd never been there before. They had a huge area of pristine gravel in front of a triple garage, all carefully raked, and not a scrap of colour or anything else. It was just dry, open and barren.

Back to our drive, now full of those lovely red-stemmed flowers, pink blooms, a few primroses still hanging on, some comfrey on the starting line with exquisite delicate flowers, and of course, the Loosestrife  just starting nearby...

And then we see a blackbird feeding its young a few feet from our conservatory window!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 14:25 »
There are some flowers described as weeds such as dandelions, creeping buttercup, speedwell (very aptly named), forget-me-nots, Rose-bay Willow Herb and a few others which actually look lovely together in a wild garden. Perhaps we should enjoy them as long as they don't take over other precious plants.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 17:08 »
We have Red Valerian everywhere , a pretty flower that grows anywhere it lands !
We just have to be ruthless with it before it sets (Dandelion type) seeds .
It does not uproot easily , resists weedkiller and will probably take over the world ! :D

Christine

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 08:29 »
It does not uproot easily , resists weedkiller and will probably take over the world ! :D
Isn't that the best definition of a weed for any gardener?  ;) :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 09:42 »
We have Red Valerian everywhere , a pretty flower that grows anywhere it lands !

Is this the same as the plant which gets you off to sleep, 8?

8doubles

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 10:49 »

Is this the same as the plant which gets you off to sleep, 8?
No such luck , just a close cousin ! :nowink:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 11:43 »
I take valerian sometimes,  works for me, but mine comes as a capsule from the health shop.  :lol: Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

xx
Ain't nature wonderful!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2019, 15:16
by Goosegirl
clip
The things we do for wildlife...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 16, 2021, 11:02
by mrs bouquet
xx
Fishy question re wildlife pond

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 01, 2018, 14:50
by JayG

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 48 queries.