Flies abound!

• 7 Replies

Goosegirl

Flies abound!
« on: July 26, 2012, 14:03 »
I have four beautiful cats but - oh dear - I wish they would leave their catches outside. At the moment, I am battling with masses of flies coming from somewhere I can't find. The trouble is that fly spray leaves a nasty deposit on things and can affect brass and copper items, of which we have a lot, plus coat other stuff too. What do you all do?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Oliveview

Re: Flies abound!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 15:56 »
There is a liquid you can buy here, you paint it onto things and as soon as the flies touch it they are dead- we bought it a couple of years ago when we had flies at plague proportions, a local farmer used compost from a chicken farm- including dead chickens- we were trapped inside for over 2 weeks!   We painted card and hung it on the wall outside.  Sorry I don't know what the liquid was called, only that you mixed it with water to dilute it.

Pamela

(who has an annoying fly buzzing about here)

Raven81

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 19:43 »
Our house is situated on what used to be a swamp - we have major fly issues every year so feel for you there.

I have been doing some research and have come up with several suggestions including hanging clear bags of water in doorways (not one for me), spraying them with washing up liquid and water solution (this is one I am going to try). 

Mint, cloves, sweet basil and euccalyptus oils seem to all be deterrents to put near the area.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Oliveview

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 20:18 »
Our neighbour has hung up a cola bottle, with holes close to the top, added a few prawn heads and about 1/3rd filled it with water-  they have caught loads of flies, but the bottle stinks!

Pamela

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 08:47 »
Eww  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:40 »
being next to a beck and having quite a few trees plus fields of crops around us we get inundated with flies every summer. Now I hang a couple of red top fly traps and thankfully most flies go into them (although I wouldn't want one too close to my doors and windows as they stink awful close up).
Staffies are softer than you think.

mobilekat

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 18:03 »
Red top traps are very good- but I hate getting rid of them when full, I tend to hang one hidden in the bushes in the garden and use a couple each year.

We also have an electric fly zapper running all year which tends to get any that come in
was only £20 of the web and well worth it- and only uses the same electricity as a light bulb!

We live near a river and a sewage works so do get quite a few flies- but has been better since the nearest fields changed hands and the new owner doesnt graze cattle in there!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 18:58 »
We have fly trouble in at ours as our garden backs onto the allotments. It gets so bad this time of the year as soon as one of the dogs poop in the garden im out there getting it up :lol: i think i might put nappies on them. If i was to leave it i dread it would attract more  ::) Im on a search  for a fly screen that fits our patio doors at the moment with no luck. I know how you feel though goosegirl our cat used to do the same bring things in and leave it to die somewhere. I usually didnt find the things til they started stinking and it was usually hidden somewhere really awkward like under the washing mashine. One year it got sooo bad in our bedroom with flies coming from somewhere we just ripped everything out only to fine a dead mouse  and millions of fly eggs etc ewwwww!! Now if i see just one fly in the house i become a bit OCD  :lol:

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 35 queries.