cold/freezing bunny

• 31 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
Re: cold/freezing bunny
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 13:23 »
I dont know too much about rabbits, but I would think that they are pretty hardy animals.  Lets be honest the ones in the wild seem to cope well without kind humans giving them extra food, duvets and bedding. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 13:35 »
IMO It is important to give them extra protection from cold, wind and rain. My daughter's bunny died in the cold winter of '83, because I thought it would be able to cope with the weather :(

In the wild they will be able to hide out in a burrow underground, well away from freezing cold winds and snow and ice, something they cant do in a hutch.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 13:40 »
I think your probably right there mum, obviously not my best thinking day!

daisy1990

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 20:13 »
I asked my vet when I went in with one of the rabbits on Friday, she said rabbits are fine up to -12 degrees provided they are out of direct wind and are dry, so once the hutch covers arrive our will be back outside- they are making such a mess in the conservatory I cant tell you!!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Paul Plots

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 22:16 »
I asked my vet when I went in with one of the rabbits on Friday, she said rabbits are fine up to -12 degrees provided they are out of direct wind and are dry, so once the hutch covers arrive our will be back outside- they are making such a mess in the conservatory I cant tell you!!

Don't forget they will have become quite accustomed to warmer conditions indoors.... perhaps you might begin by opening the windows during the day + closing again at night - after a few days leave the windows open full-time then a week later if the weather isn't too brass-monkeys put them outside again.

I was just thinking it might be a bit of a shock to them to suddenly be plunged back out in the very cold of winter.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

daisy1990

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 19:11 »
good advice thanks.  The order for the waterproof covers keeps being delayed I suppose lots of other people are having the same problem, so the rabbits are having a reprieve.  We have put cat litter in their tray at the vets suggestion and that is helping no end!

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 23:27 »
If you've got an electricity supply you can buy electric pet blankets for use at night. Our cat has one in his iglo in the greenhouse and loves it!
John

nuttytart

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 23:45 »
we have always used a piece of old carpet with a tarpaulin over the top weighted down on our rbbot hutches and they always surive he winter! cheaper than a cage hugger thingy! and most carpet shops will either give you enough ie the off cuts for very little or nothing!!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 00:00 »
If you've got an electricity supply you can buy electric pet blankets for use at night. Our cat has one in his iglo in the greenhouse and loves it!

We keep the fuel bills down - think green: no electric blanket for the cat or rabbit but the cat sleeps on the end of our bed - keeps my feet wonderfully warm for free!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 20:22 »
Hi we run a rabbit and guinea pig rescue, all the rabbits we have in are keeped in a large shed or garage over winter, we fill up bed area  with hay, and give a little more fresh veg daily , also make sure water bottles are keeped ice free ,and we also put old thick blankets over wire side at night time to stop any drafts, rabbits can be quite happy in and up to -10;)
we have never had any problems or any die on us
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 22:08 »
we have always used a piece of old carpet with a tarpaulin over the top weighted down on our rbbot hutches and they always surive he winter! cheaper than a cage hugger thingy! and most carpet shops will either give you enough ie the off cuts for very little or nothing!!!

Now I know Im getting onto level one of the allotmenters scale.... I wrap my wormery with old carpet!

Oliveview

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2011, 22:15 »
When i had guinea pigs i covered their hutches with s roll of bubble wrap and sacking, along with extra hay or straw they were fine, :happy:
Pamela

Paul Plots

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 01:55 »
With yet another winter on it's way I thought I'd ask how the rabbits coped through the last one..

We have a lop eared rabbit about to face it's first English winter.

daisy1990

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 13:14 »
our special rabbit hutch covers never did arrive (apparently there was a backlog because everyone wanted them!)  I bought three indoor hutches and brought them all inside through the worst of the weather, but they looked so miserable as they are used to running in half an acre! They did however keep healthy which is the main thing.  Out two girl rabbits stay outside in even driving rain and cold, but the boys stay in their beds!

Raven81

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 22:35 »
We used to put our guinea pig hutch in the shed covered by a thick curtain when it started to get cold.

My friend had the brothers of my guinea pigs and they stayed outside all year round (I can't remember whether they were covered) and grew much bigger and got far thicker fur.  They all lived to around the same age so can't have done them any harm!!
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

xx
I want this bunny!

Started by Laverne88 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 21:27
by totalnovice
question
Cold ears!?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:33
by Caralou
xx
Worried about the cold.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2022, 11:39
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 36 queries.