cold/freezing bunny

• 31 Replies

chickychick2409

• I love my dog, chickens, rabbit, snake and fish ;)
cold/freezing bunny
« on: November 29, 2010, 18:30 »
We're worried about our bunny.

First, we didnt want her to get cold so we bought a bunny hot water bottle.
Then, we had snow so we brought her inside and put her old hutch into the conservitary.

My cousin (who is a vet) said that moving her in and out of the cold could give her pneumonia.

Can it???
You can never beat a fresh boiled egg in the morning ;-)

spottymint

Re: cold/freezing bunny
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 21:55 »
HI

Not sure on the pnuemonia part, but it is not good to keep moving her from cold to warm & then cold again.

Animals adjust as it get's colder, thicker fur, eating more. If you bring her into the warm, she will probably moult her fur, then when the snow melts she's put back into the cold with a thin coat, having adjusted to a warm enviroment.

If she's indoors, I'd keep her in till spring & the weather warms up.  :) I always make sure animals have aclimatised to the outdoors before winter comes, otherwise they stay in till spring.

Junie

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 22:35 »
I used to bring my rabbit into the kitchen just to warm his ears when I was young  !!  Until he bit through the freezer wire and was no longer welcome. :ohmy:
I'd go with the not moving them in and out too - too confusing for the body, if you got that advice from a vet then I would go with it!

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:23 »
Hi, when it becomes cold I put mine in the shed with alot of straw and put covers over at night, then they come back out spring.
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:30 »
If a vet gave me that advice i think id go with the vet to be honest!!
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 11:13 »
Ours always stayed outside - we added sacking over the hutch, increased the bedding and covered the wire front loosely again with a sack - this had a wooden batten to weight it down and stop the wind lifting it up over night.

If the hutch is out of the wind and mostly free of draughts the temperature inside should be cosy for a hardened wabbit. Make sure there's plenty of food and unfrozen water available.

Vets usually know best when it comes to animals  ;)

Once in the warm that's where they'll have to stay........
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

evie2

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:29 »
Ours stay outside all year round.

We move them to a sheltered area, give extra bedding and food and cover them.

This year we have babies so we're being extra careful.
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

BIG ZOOK

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 16:56 »
We bring our 2 rabbits and there hutches into the garage 4 the winter.Lots of bedding and a little extra food and all is well.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 18:10 »
we have four rabbits and two guinea pigs which we have re-homed from the RSPCA over the summer.  They are in three hutches (2 rabbits in each and two guinea pigs in the other) the hutches face each other so they shelter each other from the wind and the guinea pigs have an outside run attached (the rabbits have two storey hutches).  I have pinned plastic to the bottom  of the hutches to protect them from side winds if they venture down stairs.  The rabbits can run free during the day as they are behind an electric fence with our hens.  Today I took a follow up call from the RSPCA to check I had moved them all in to a shed for the winter and said this was their policy.  I do have a shed but this would mean they couldn't run free during the day which they enjoy (we leave the hutch door open and they hop into the warm whenever they want)  An alternative is hutch covers which are £50 plus per hutch, but would buy if people think it necessary (any recommendations?).  I have had pet shop bought rabbits previously that were out all winter, but we obviously want to do the best we can for our bunnies and pigs.  Any advice appreciated please
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

evie2

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 17:01 »
Ours are outside, covered with plastic and at night on old 15tog duvet, they don't use the bottom runs atm and we have two 10 day old babies in one hutch with mum and sibling and mum with three 5wk olds in the other, all doing fine with extra hay and food :D

Personally I don't think they need to range in this weather and I know the RSPCA are a bit more cautious at this time of year.

When we had Angora rabbits they had the run of the 18ft shed in the winter but preferred to sit in their open hutches ::) 

chickychick2409

• I love my dog, chickens, rabbit, snake and fish ;)
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 18:28 »
thank you all!

I will get the vets advice- I need to know because I dont want her to be cold when she goes back outside

The conservatory is probaly the same temperature as a garage or shed- we chose the coldest place to put her.

Thanks

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 00:58 »
we have four rabbits and two guinea pigs which we have re-homed from the RSPCA over the summer.  They are in three hutches (2 rabbits in each and two guinea pigs in the other) the hutches face each other so they shelter each other from the wind and the guinea pigs have an outside run attached (the rabbits have two storey hutches).  I have pinned plastic to the bottom  of the hutches to protect them from side winds if they venture down stairs.  The rabbits can run free during the day as they are behind an electric fence with our hens.  Today I took a follow up call from the RSPCA to check I had moved them all in to a shed for the winter and said this was their policy.  I do have a shed but this would mean they couldn't run free during the day which they enjoy (we leave the hutch door open and they hop into the warm whenever they want)  An alternative is hutch covers which are £50 plus per hutch, but would buy if people think it necessary (any recommendations?).  I have had pet shop bought rabbits previously that were out all winter, but we obviously want to do the best we can for our bunnies and pigs.  Any advice appreciated please
Daisy

I've seen the hutch covers advertised but wouldn't a home made version do just as well and be considerably cheaper?  ;)

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 22:52 »
Apparently, rabbits can deal with very cold temperatures but not combined with wet weather.  So, if they are kept outside make sure their hutches and bedding are always dry.
I keep my 5 rabbits in the summer house.  It is cold out there but they seem quite happy hoping about and dont seem to be suffering from the cold at all.
As the others have said, you cant keep bringing  a rabbit from the cold, into the warm and then out into the cold again.  Its either one or the other.
Have you thought about getting your rabbit a companion as then he/she will have someone to cuddle up to on these cold nights.  Rabbits are social creatures and are much happier kept with a companion.

rach312

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 23:11 »
Hi
Ive kept rabbits most of my life and they are pretty hardy creatures,but they dont like going to and from hot and cold places they are just like us and get colds.I make sure they have loads of bedding,hay and food.Ive got giants so they are on their own as they need space. I make sure their bottles arent frozen in this weather and i at least check on them 3 times a day.I put a plastic sheet over the front of their cages at night so it keeps the warmth in.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 13:11 »
We bought our bunny a hutch hugger, which insulated the hutch and kept it dry. That, lots of bedding and lots of food and they can stand some really brutal weather. My mum use to give her bunnies some sort of warm mash, can't remember what was in it but they wolfed it down. I'll ask and post again.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

xx
I want this bunny!

Started by Laverne88 on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post November 04, 2009, 21:27
by totalnovice
question
Cold ears!?

Started by Pretty Chick on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 14:33
by Caralou
xx
Worried about the cold.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Pets without Feathers

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2022, 11:39
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.