Can I lose weight AND save money?

• 13 Replies

Elcie

Can I lose weight AND save money?
« on: September 23, 2010, 19:42 »
I am on the WW plan at the moment (-16lbs so far!) and would like to cook more of my food from scratch.  To be honest, I use a lot of ready meals which cost about £1 each and seem quite cheap, but I would like to cook more (my son would like to get involved too) of my meals but not spend too much more than I do already.

Is this possible?  Does anyone have any good recipes that are low fat/healthy and cheap?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can I lose weight AND save money?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 19:51 »
Elcie why not join the healthy eating section - send a pm to sunshineband  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Elcie

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 20:22 »
Elcie why not join the healthy eating section - send a pm to sunshineband  :)

I had forgotten about that.  I was a member when it first started but I didn't do very well to be honest.  I have sent sunshineband a pm to see if she will let me in again!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 20:47 »
If you find some meals that are cheap and to your taste, then cook them in bulk, and freeze in single portions. This way you do have some ready meals for when you want something quickly............and another plus.....you can't cheat on portion size :)
You can always fill the plate up with extra veg....filling but not fattening ;)

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 20:51 »
Before I joined WW all I eat was ready made food like pies, pizza etc since joining and losing my weight I have not eaten a single ready made meal. I am not saying that it will be cheaper but it shouldn't be any more expensive than what you are paying now it just takes a little more  time, but the food will taste better and you will feel better for making your own.

If you go to my allotment blog you will see a link to my weight loss page, if you or anyone would like any advice on WW or how to stay motivated just ask.

Kev

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 20:54 »
Where is the healthy eating section I can not see it anywhere ?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 20:59 »
the healthy lifestyle section is a private open forum open to full memebers where we all encourage each other to maintain a more healthy way of eating and exercising. Should you wish to join (and I have followed your link and must say you have done brilliantly Kevin) you need to send a pm to Sunshineband  :)

flowerpower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 22:08 »
Elcie
I too am at WW. Second time around! It all seems so eternal all this weight loss, but I know its good for me. Do you have access to the WW recipes online? Esource, I think they call it.

I have downloaded a brill recipe for beef with mushrooms and shallots which used braising steak so can feed us all for about £1 a head (cost of meat, not veg) which is 3 and a half points a serving. I cook it in my pressusre cooker as it does ask for 2 hrs in the oven - it's 20 mins in the pr.cooker!

I have also made lovely thai fishcakes with cheap prawns and white fish (whatever is cheapest) for only a few points each, too - serve with lettuce.
I really recommend esource - it's far far better than the recipe books. You can also tap in the ingredients that you DO have (ie half a cabbage and a sausage) and it'll have suggestions.

BTW - just eat more veg. They're cheap and filling  - pulses, too!

Well done. Its hard, isn't it?! xx

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26 »
Esource is also good for counting your points, as you can save your regular meals and make new meal plans in it and then just drag and drop them into your daily plan and it counts up the points. As most people eat 90% of the same'ish things most days of the week it makes pointing very quick and easy.

Elcie

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 07:34 »
Thanks for all the tips everyone!  I have signed up for the monthly pass with WW now so will have e-source and also the healthy living club on here!  I will let you know how I get on looking through the recipes on WW site and make up a batch as MoS suggests so I have my own ready meals!  I am off to poundland tonight to get some plastic tubs for the freezer!

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:35 »
I think having a plot or garden full of veg is the inspiration you need to get cooking from scratch. It's all just sitting there waiting to be turned into something yummy.  Courgettes are the easiest, most productive veg there is and you can turn it into an infinite number of healthy dishes.  I made a simple tomato sandwich yesterday with a gorgeous, juicy beef tomato. Spread the wholemeal bread  with low fat soft cheese, sliced Costuoluto tomato and some ripped basil off the window sill.  Marvellous  :D  From scratch but simple, and with crops to hand there is always the basis of a meal

Hugh Fernly is on at the moment and he was doing soups and stocks last night

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2010, 11:27 »
Hugh Fernly is on at the moment and he was doing soups and stocks last night

Unfortunately those lovely joints of meat (to provide all the lovely bones and leftover meat) don't grow on my allotment :(

They did look scrummy though :)

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 15:35 »
veg stock is gorgeous though.  I don't do much meat either as it doesn't grow on my plot.
I don't miss it though as there are so many lovely meals to be made that you make the veg the star of the show rather than just a bit on the side  :D

Today I'm making courgette soup with gorgonzola. The smell coming from the kitchen is fab  :) 

You can get stock bones for next to nothing from the butcher, if you feel the need  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 16:17 »
I'd have a problem with that as we have no butchers in Ashford, only loads of supermarkets and it's surprising how many things you miss from the butchers :(

xx
Weight Watchers 'crisps'

Started by SnooziSuzi on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2009, 09:11
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 34 queries.