rabbit nesting

• 9 Replies

caerkev

rabbit nesting
« on: May 13, 2010, 23:27 »
we have a female rabbit who comes and goes as she pleases, jumps a 5ft fence, digs under fence. she spends a few hrs in other gardens then comes home for some food and to annoy the chickens by pinching there food, some times she will go to her own hutch for a sleep.
went to clean out the hutch today and change the bedding and found lots of fur in the bedding compartment, i have left i as it is, could his mean she has found herself a fancy rabbit and been having dirty nights out and now in the familly way.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:06 by DD. »

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Re: rabitt nesting
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 01:32 »
Pet rabbits are the same species as wild so they can interbred. I hope you are good at knitting booties. Half a dozen is around average and they can start interbreeding from 3 months. If they are wild crosses they will be too domestic to survive in the wild but too high strung to make good pets for most people.

If you are lucky it's just a phantom pregnancy, she should either have them in the next couple of days or lose interest in the nest. If she doesn't produce anything you might want to consider neutering to make sure she can't multiple in future.

caerkev

Re: rabbit nesting
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 22:23 »
cuddles has now gone missing so suspect she may have nested elsewhere, told the kids to stay away from the hutch but will they listen NO.
so we will just have to hope she will return hopefully in tow with some young,
then its a trip to the vets and time to upset the neighbours by adding hieght to the fence and blocking all the edges of garden with decking or paving slabs.
no more wondering for our cuddles.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 01:18 »
They usually start coming out of the nest at about 3 weeks old but mum doesn't live in the nest. She visits once or twice a day for a couple of minutes to feed them and then seals the entrance over and ignores it.

If she turns up with babes keep in mind that bunnies can be fertile from 10 weeks and will then breed with each other. Also female rabbits can get pregnant again straight after giving birth so it's possible for them to give birth to a second little four weeks later and so on.

Caralou

• Family Member.
    • Lowcostliving
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05 »
In terms of the offspring my two girls are wild rabbit crosses and the can be very skitty. One of them (Lily) is so bad if anyone other than me is around she hides in the hutch under cover and stamps for hours. Violet is a lot better and actually comes for cuddles (but only her nose is to be stroked thank you  ::) ) and leaps around the house with the cats without a care in the world. You will need to try to handle them young as my two were not found (abandoned in fact  >:( ) until about 6-8 weeks old and that has made them far more difficult to handle.  The two abandoned brothers of my girls tamed quicker (they had the boys neutered as soon as they could as they sprayed badly from a young age) and now are as happy as a domestic bunny - so for those experts is that usual? Are the boys the better behaved bunnies?

Good luck! You're going to have a large brood any day now!  :)

caerkev

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 12:59 »
as a young lad i had a wild baby rabbit that my dad found, as i can remember it we were driving in a country lane at dusk and the rabbit was stuck in the glare of the head lights, my dad got out and caught it but over head was a kestrel hovering, my dad let me keep it and we named it lucky,remember my two uncles saying it would never survive, we had it for a number of years till i was into my teens and it out survived two domestic rabbits, it never grew as big as wild rabbits i have seen but was very loving.
i do hope our cuddles comes home hopefully with babys if thats why she has disapeared, but has i have said i will have to sort out the enclosure to prevent her getting out in the future.

TeaPots

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 22:40 »
Any further nws/sightings of cuddles?

caerkev

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 23:51 »
she goes missing for three to four days at a time now, comes home has some food and a little rest on the lawn then off to go again.
got everything in place to secure her in but don,t want to at the moment incase she has had young elsewhere so don't want to stop her getting to them.
once i'm happy her wandering days will be over with a higher fence and under ground meshing to stop the jumping and digging out.

TeaPots

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 09:23 »
the waiting for news is killing me  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  heaven knows how you must be feeling  :unsure:

caerkev

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 20:05 »
same here :) so sad i need to get out more and have a life away from rabbits, chickens, guinee pigs and hamsters ;). all bought as pets for the kids but i do all the slog and cleaning out, but must admit i do get a lot of pleasure from it.
i will keep this posted to let you know if there are any babies or not.
decided to give her two more weeks of fredom, if nothing then everything is in place to secure her run to stop her getting out in the future.

xx
Bluetits nesting

Started by Frizzle1 on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 14:40
by Flatcat
xx
Redstarts nesting

Started by Casey76 on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 19:54
by Mosslane
question
Ground nesting bees

Started by compostqueen on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2012, 15:42
by compostqueen
xx
Rabbit Pregnancy.. AGAIN

Started by chloe on Pets without Feathers

12 Replies
Last post March 19, 2011, 21:37
by Gerty333

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 35 queries.